Main finish in style with thumping win

PERCY Main Amateurs rang down the curtain on the 2010-11 season with an astonishing 9-0 victory over Gateshead Rutherford in front of the largest crowd of the season at Purvis Park.

Having captured the Northumberland FA Senior Benevolent Bowl with a highly attractive 3-2 victory over Seaton Delaval Amateurs the previous Wednesday, Main are on cloud nine after securing eighth spot in their first season back in the Northern Alliance premier division.

Credit goes to manager Jason Ritchie who in three years in charge has completely turned round the club’s fortunes in concert with his band of fine Percy warriors.

Saturday’s breathtaking performance could easily have seen the Villagers double their total number of goals against a side who beat them to the first division title in 2009-10, and who the Main could only manage to beat by single goal margins in their last four encounters.

The last encounter between the two sides had seen Ashley Smyth open his account for the Main at Beggarswood last September in a single goal win.

At the weekend, Ash completed the season in flamboyant style with a hat-trick, completed by a last minute penalty, won by Jason Ritchie, but graciously handed to Ash.

The Main almost took the lead in the first minute when Michael Bowman had the ball in the net after 20 seconds, but was flagged offside.

However 60 seconds later a smart turn and finish by Malky Morien put the Main ahead.

Seconds later Rutherford keeper Craig Knox tipped over a free kick by the same player, but the Main’s second arrived soon after when Luc Coiffait nodded home a Morien corner.

Coiffait’s bravery caused him to sustain a bang on the head, which necessitated him leaving the pitch at the break with a blossoming black eye, but by then the home side were 4-0 to the good.

Ashley Smyth on eight and John Amos on 11 minutes skated round Knox and tapped in to empty nets, to give the home team an amazing start.

Rutherford’s Kevin Hay twice tested Rob Rodgerson, but these were rare forays up front for the Gateshead outfit.

It could have been far worse by half-time as Malky Morien was denied by an offside flag on 34 minutes and a sprawling Knox on 43.

Indeed, there was a veritable goal drought until the 66th minute when substitute Steven Shadforth finished with some style to make it 5-0, scoring his first league and second goal in total for the season.

Before then, John Amos had been denied on the line, Michael Bowman had hit the side netting and Rutherford had been reduced to ten when Marcus Nelson was dismissed for hauling back Morien.

Rutherford’s Linton Smith was desperately unlucky when lashing against the upright, but it mattered nothing when Smyth made it 6-0 after running on to a Morien pass.

Seconds later it was almost seven when Knox allowed a Bowman cross to squirm under him, but the linesman ruled the ball had not crossed the line.

Knox did well twice in a minute to deny Smyth, by blocking one-on-ones.

However, the seventh and eighth goals saw runs down the right wing for a change.

The former ended with Morien tapping in a Bowman pass and the latter concluded with Bowman sweeping home a Smyth pass in the 85th minute.

All there was left was Smyth’s hat-trick penalty, after Ritchie was body-checked.

Percy Main Amateurs end the season with a presentation evening at Percy Main Cricket Club on Saturday, June 4.

The committee and players of both men’s and women’s teams invite all fans and players past, as well as potential sponsors, to join them for the event from 7.30pm.