Main twice come from behind to take three points

PERCY Main twice came from behind in what could probably be termed a scrappy contest against Wark to claim their second three-point haul on their travels during the past week and a half.

Midfielder Malcolm Morien scored two of his side’s goals, which included a first half penalty, and made the other to make it seven from the last three games.

Percy Main’s last trip to Wark on January 26, 2008 ended in a decisive 7-2 victory for the home side, in what turned out to be Wark’s division one championship winning season, while only Tony Browell, one of the few who figured with distinction in the Main’s colours that day, lined up for the Villagers in the latest meeting of the sides.

The previous week’s spring sunshine had given way to leaden skies and Browell may have wondered if history was about to repeat itself, as Wark’s Mark Elliott gave his side a sixth minute lead with a shot from out wide which was lofted over the head of keeper Rob Rodgerson.

As the half wore on the Villagers gained in confidence as Craig Ewart, still continuing his recuperation after a lengthy injury, was inches from connecting from close range and Michael Bowman leaning back, blazed over.

Parity was restored when Ewart played a great defence splitting through ball for Bowman, who burst into the area and with only the goalkeeper to beat was hauled down by Patrick McAlindon.

How the Wark defender remained on the pitch was a mystery, but Morien confidently stroked the ball home from the penalty spot to cheer the visitors.

It was perhaps against the run of play when former North Shields striker Tom McAlindon produced a smart turn and finish to give his side the advantage for the second time.

Percy Main started the second half in the best possible fashion as Morien release Bowman, who ran on to finish clinically under the dive of Bradwell.

With the Main now doing most of the pressing Browell saw a header cleared from the line.

The winning goal arrived with 13 minutes left to play as Ewart played a delightful ball in for Morien to compose himself and produce a smart finish which left the goalkeeper sprawling.

On Saturday Percy Main travel to face Heaton Stannington in the George Dobbins League Cup quarter-final, kick-off is 2pm.