Mixed fortunes for Cullercoats FC teams

Cullercoats FC Under-21s celebrate their cup win.
Cullercoats FC Under-21s celebrate their cup win.

Cullercoats Under 21s returned to league action after a two week break with an away draw at Blyth Spartans.

The game was played in good spirit throughout with both clubs fielding youthful teams on the day.

Cullercoats made the early running and took control of the midfield areas, creating good opportunities in the first half hour.

However, it was a handball in the Blyth penalty area on 37 mins which provided the clearest opportunity in the first half. Captain Lloyd Leigh dispatched an excellent penalty into the bottom corner of the net to make the half time score 1-0 to Cullercoats.

The game opened up in the second half with both teams creating opportunities.

Striker Stephen Moat thought he’d secured the points for the visitors on the hour when he challenged for a loose ball with the home keeper and shot high into the net.

However, the goal was disallowed and 10 minutes later Blyth were level when a scramble in the Cullercoats penalty area was forced home to level the score at 1-1.

Despite forcing corners at either end, both teams were unable to force a winner and the game ended in a draw.

Central midfielder Martin Cobley was awarded man of the match after another solid performance for Cullercoats in the engine room.

The Under 21s are at home to Forest Hall this in the quarter-final of the League Cup. KO is at 2pm.

Meanwhile, Cullercoats FC seniors were defeated in league action at home to high-flying Felling Magpies in the Northern Alliance Bay Plastics First Division.

The game was very competitive from the start, with the home side making the early running in an action packed first half.

However, both defences came out on top and it remained goalless at the break.

Felling made the breakthrough in the second half with a headed goal from a corner.

But Cullercoats forced their way back into the game with a penalty kick following a foul in the Felling box.

The spot kick was excellently placed into the bottom corner of the net by attacking midfielder Chris Connor to level the score at 1-1.

The game then opened up as both teams tried to force the winner and Felling grabbed the advantage with a neat finish in the final quarter.

Cullercoats pushed for an equaliser, but the away defence held firm and it ended 2-1 at full time.

Cullercoats are again in league action at home to Lindisfarne Custom Planet this with a 2.30pm KO at Links Avenue.