Monkseaton win derby against TyneMet

MONKSEATON High School beat local rivals TyneMet College to keep in contention for their English Colleges FA division league title.

The game promised to be a physical encounter with local pride at stake, but it was Monkseaton who applied the early pressure and on eight minutes they were awarded a penalty when Lee Waugh was held back when clean through on goal.

It was Waugh himself who stepped up and smashed the spot kick into the roof of the net to make it 1-0.

Further pressure on the away goal followed with two attempts that were only kept out by virtue of the woodwork.

However, on 20 minutes Monkseaton were rewarded with their second goal after Josh Day made a driving run down the right flank and found Jonny Forrest with a pinpoint cross and made no mistake from six yards.

Despite spending most of the time in their own half, Tyne Met looked dangerous on the break and found themselves back in the game on 39 minutes when Danny Young stepped up and curled an excellent free kick into the top corner from 25 yards to make the score 2-1 at the break.

The second half had barely started when Monkseaton’s Lewis Davison broke down the left and crossed for Shaun Gadsby to make it 3-1 with a measured right foot finish.

Monkseaton were now well on top but the game was unfortunately delayed for several minutes when Tyne Met were reduced to ten men after Colin Bell was red carded for a challenge on Forrest which required an ambulance to be called to take him to hospital.

Forrest’s replacement was Matthew Eltringham and it was he who quickly scored a brace to put the game beyond any doubt at 5-1.

Tyne Met’s miserable afternoon continued when Davison again broke down the left and swept in a hopeful cross which fortunately lobbed over the top of the away goalkeeper and into the far corner of the net, making the final score 6-1.

The result sees Monkseaton needing a win from their final game at home to Grimsby College next week in order to secure the league title ahead of Leeds City College.

Tyne Met remain second bottom.