North Shields Athletic Reserves through to Shield final

The Tyneside Amateur League returned to action after the festive break with a bang as Lindisfarne Custom Planet and North Shields Athletic Reserves met in the semi-final of the Tyneside Amateur Challenge Shield on Saturday.

Lindisfarne are ranked third in division one with Shields in fifth, but it was the visitors who drew first blood as a corner was flicked by Nathan Brannen into the path of Simon Honeywood, who made no mistake to put North Shields 1-0 up.

However, it was another flag kick which would bring Lindisfarne level as Steven Jamieson headed against his own crossbar only for Michael Hedley to arrive to equalise.

Shields then suffered a further blow as goalkeeper Talan Campbell was forced to leave the field with a shoulder injury, to be replaced by Dean Bolam.

However, it was Lindisfarne who were left reeling as Anthony Skipsey netted from close range to give Shields the lead again and ultimately the final berth, despite a 96th minute free kick hitting the post for Lindisfarne.

In division one, Chemfica Reserves returned to the top of the table with a 2-0 win at Gosforth Bohemian Reserves thanks to goals from Craig Robinson and Steven Spence.

Fica are now two points clear of Walker Central Reserves with two games remaining.

Heaton Rifles are now all but confirmed in bottom spot after a narrow 3-2 defeat against Wardley.

Karim Benfaied and Aban Tahmassebi scored for Rifles, but Aaron Coote, Dean Kirtley and Bradley Nicholson won it for Wardley.

In division two, Hazlerigg Victory were denied the opportunity to seal the title by a waterlogged Hazlerigg Welfare pitch, which put paid to their game against Ryton & Crawcrook Albion Reserves.

They will try again next week against Newcastle East End, the only team who can catch them.

The bottom two, Tynemouth and North Shields Town, played out a 1-1 draw at a soggy Churchill Playing Fields. Stuart Mole scored for Tynemouth, with Paul Elliott on target for Town.

Finally, Ponteland United Reserves held ten-man New York to a 2-2 draw.