Percy Main beaten in final game of season after leading twice

Although twice in front during a game which had only pride at stake for either side, Percy Main were left with nothing to show for their efforts in a 3-2 defeat at Killingworth.

Monday, 16th May 2016, 11:32 am
Updated Monday, 16th May 2016, 12:36 pm

The defeat brought the curtain down on an eventful first season back in the Northern Alliance premier division, which has culminated in a creditable mid-table finish.

There was perhaps mitigating circumstances for Main’s somewhat below par performance as club chairman Peter Bainbridge had been betrothed a day previous and the bulk of the squad had partaken with great gusto in the evening festivities at Tynemouth’s Grand Hotel, before departing for the nearby Front Street.

Percy Main got their noses in front on 13 minutes as Chris Laidlaw made ground down the left and his ball in, helped on by Sam Thompson, reached Graham Allen who produced a superb finish for his first goal of the season.

For the home side, Jack Pinchen and Lee Hamilton tried their luck, but parity was restored just before the half hour mark as Chris Tate’s corner was converted by Louis Howe who headed home.

The stalemate only lasted three minutes and Main were back in front as Stew Wright flicked on to Laidlaw who ran on to slot past the dive of Steven Whitmore in the home goal, it was Laidlaw’s 13th of the season and cemented his position as top scorer.

As the visitors visibly wilted, Nicky Evans brought a diving save from Rob Rodgerson in the Main goal before Howe struck his second of the game four minutes into the second half as he latched onto an errant clearance.

Pinchen and Evans both went close for Killingworth, while for the Villagers, Redmond Cockburn fired Green’s low centre just past the far post.

The home side’s winner came on 65 minutes as a long ball over the top of Main’s defence left three Killingworth players in the clear and it was Evans who got the decisive touch.

Percy Main tried to respond as Laidlaw saw his shot parried behind by the goalkeeper, James Mobberley’s downward header was cleared to safety and Wright shot wide, but it was Killingworth who finished the stronger and had the bulk of the play.