Percy Main lose three-goal lead before hitting late winner

Four goals in a frenetic five-minute spell between the 83rd and 88th minutes saw Percy Main Amateurs make hard work of a 5-4 win at Newcastle Chemfica.

But all important win extended their lead at the top of the Northern Alliance first division, which for the bulk of the game had looked a foregone conclusion.

At 3-0 up until just before the hour mark, Main had dominated the game yet somehow managed to let their seemingly unassailable lead slip and when Chemfica’s Garrick Murphy-Collins hit an 87th minute leveller to almost unbelievably make the score 4-4 in the dying moments.

Yet as an air of disbelieving gloom appeared to engulf the visiting dug out, there was to be yet another sting in the tale as Percy Main right back Adam Green, who had also played a pivotal part in his side’s first goal, surged into the area to fire his side’s fifth and ultimately winning goal with only two minutes remaining.

It was Green’s second goal of the season and one which will probably live long in his memory and of those present with a Percy Main leaning.

Goals seem to be the name of the game at the moment as seven days previous Main had shaded an eight-goal thriller against Blyth Isabella, also with a 5-3 verdict.

The latest goal scoring bonanza, although which still yielded a three-point haul for the North Tyneside outfit, will have no doubt added a few grey hairs to the heads of the management team who are striving so hard to bring Northern Alliance premier division football to Purvis Park next season.

The Villagers dominated the first half and stated their attacking intentions early on as Dan Sneap fired just past the post.

Then Pete Holland in the Chemfica goal proved his mettle to thwart a Chris Laidlaw effort with his legs and then went full length to save from Green following a superb 40-yard diagonal ball by James Leggett.

The first goal for the visitors on the half hour mark owed a great deal to good fortune as Green centred from the right to which a couple of Chemfica defenders managed to get in a mix up and divert the ball past Holland, presenting Sneap with the easiest of chances and an empty net.

Luke Walker for Chemfica fired into the side netting, but it was no surprise when Main doubled their advantage during the closing minutes of the first half as Sneap found Laidlaw, who produced a clinical finish, perfectly lofting the ball high over the head of Holland who was given no chance, from the edge of the area.

Percy Main were three to the good and seemingly cruising on 51 minutes as Jorge Bollado’s clever lay off found Graham Allen who drove the ball home from the edge of the area to record his first goal for the club.

Moments later, Ryan Laws, played in by Allen, was presented with a clear run on goal, but perhaps caught in two minds found himself crowded out by the home defence as he rounded Holland.

With almost 60 minutes played, Chemfica substitute Steve McLaughlin capitalised on a defensive mix up between Rob Rodgerson and Redmond Cockburn to score for the home side.

The goal visibly lifted Chemfica and Dieu di Lomana threatened before Tommy Lee-Bainbridge profited from McLaughlin’s lay off to hit his side’s second of the match on 75 minutes.

As play switched to the other end, the pressure appeared to be lifted on the visitors as Sam Thompson, on for Sneap, restored his side’s two-goal cushion with only minutes left to play.

But there was no let up in the action and the respite for Percy Main was to prove short lived as Daniel Sherliker hit home a loose ball from the edge of the area, before Murphy-Collins almost unbelievably converted Bainbridge’s cross at the far post to bring his side level.

Green was to have the final say for Percy Main with a well taken goal which sparked both celebration and relief.

Fortune had prevailed for Percy Main whose overall performance had deserved the victory, but concerns were raised over the defensive lapses which on another day could have proved costly.

This Saturday, Percy Main will travel to take on Whitburn in the second round of the Bill Gardner Trophy, kick-off is 1.30pm.