Percy Main’s poor start to season continues at Wallington

Percy Main’s dismal start to their Northern Alliance premier division campaign continued at Wellington’s Oakford Park on Saturday.

The Villagers played well in spells but succumbed to a well drilled home side, who were full value for their 4-2 win.

Despite impressing in pre-season, Main have yet to record a league win and have only a solitary point to show for their troubles, that from a 3-3 draw with North Shields Athletic on the opening day of the season.

Injuries and unavailability to six key players have played a large part in their inability to get vital points on the board, while the side’s unexplained habit of repeatedly conceding goals early on has also been a telling factor.

That said, Percy Main showed no lack of effort and but for Wallington’s crucial fourth goal, which owed a great deal to good fortune and came at a time when the game was finely poised at 3-2, there may have been a different final outcome.

Wallington, who had suffered a 6-0 home reverse against Red House Farm in midweek, were in no mood for a repeat and stamped their authority on the game during the early stages.

Kyle Reardon fired wide and with just four minutes played, then the same forward took advantage of hesitancy in the visitors defence to convert a low centre from the left.

There was a let off for Main when a mix-up between Tony Browell and goalkeeper Rob Rodgerson presented an opportunity for Ashley McAlpine, but the home forward could only find the side-netting.

But the respite was short-lived and Wallington’s lead was doubled on the quarter hour as McAlpine helped a cross from the far side back into the area and Josh Laverick flicked home from close range.

It could have been worse for Main as a third goal bundled home two minutes later was first allowed then chalked off by the referee following consultation with his assistant due to a foul on Ant Ridley during the build up.

Percy Main rallied as Dan Sneap fired just wide and threw themselves a lifeline as good play by Stew Wright down the right found Jake Stephenson who fired home his first goal for the club.

Galvanised by the goal, Andy Middlemiss brought a diving save by David Stewart in the Wallington goal, Wright headed into the goalkeeper’s hands and Dwayne Murray touched on to Middlemiss who fired inches over the crossbar.

Those chances were to count for nothing as agonisingly for the visitors, Wallington added a third just before the break as Daniel Thompson broke, released Reardon, who faced with the advancing goalkeeper, unselfishly touched on to the advancing Jake Walton who fired home.

Midway through the second half the alert Ryan Laws pounced on a slip by Stewart who failed to hold onto the ball properly to score Main’s second and briefly raise hopes among the travelling contingent.

But only a minute later Wallington restored their two-goal advantage as Glenn Reardon out wide on the left and with seemingly little options, sent over a long ball which sailed over the head of Rodgerson.

Whether it was meant as a cross or shot was open to speculation, but ultimately it was the goal which sealed the game, despite late efforts by Middlemiss, Stephenson and Jack Armstrong which failed to add to the visitors tally.

Percy Main are in League Cup action on Saturday and face Seaton Delaval at home, with a 2pm kick-off.