Robins faced with FA Cup replay

North Shields players celebrate as Dean Walker opens the scoring against Scarborough Athletic in the FA Cup. Picture by Ian Warde.
North Shields players celebrate as Dean Walker opens the scoring against Scarborough Athletic in the FA Cup. Picture by Ian Warde.

What a pulsating Sunday afternoon spectacle staged at Bridlington Town’s Queensgate round in the preliminary round of the FA Cup.

And it is all to do again at the Daren Persson Stadium on Wednesday evening.

The groundsharing hosts cancelled out a Dean Walker opener for the Tynesiders with 20 minutes remaining as a match played in front of a vociferous crowd at a frenetic pace was interspersed with some controversial decisions largely going the way of the Yorkshiremen.

Shields had to dig deep in the closing stages with their centre back pairing of John Parker and skipper Kevin Hughes once more excelling whilst debutant keeper David Morton performed with great credit.

The Robins travelled without injured ace marksman Gareth Bainbridge whilst midfielder Ryan Carr was also ruled out.

Scarborough and North Shields had last met in 1971 in a 4th qualifying round FA Cup tie only going out to a lone goal.

Graham Fenton’s table toppers have made a fantastic start to the new campaign and after this result remain unbeaten in seven outings but are aware that the re-match will be every bit as demanding as the first 90 minutes.

Just how Shields were not awarded a blatant third minute penalty when Curtis Coppen was grounded embarrassed even the home contingent but Pontefract referee Aaron Bannister waved away appeals.

All the creativity in the first period came from the Robins with home keeper Jason White holding on to a Walker effort but he was helpless on the 24 minute mark when the Shields number 9 tucked in a Ben Richardson corner.

White had his hands stung by goalbound screamers from Richardson and James Luccock whilst at the other end Morton pushed behind a James Bennett drive at full stretch and confidently held onto a low Ryan Blott shot.

Another huge call for a penalty and a resultant red card was ignored when Walker was clean through and lining up to score much to the visitors chagrin leading to Fenton being asked to leave the dug-out.

Boro’s Ben Middleton somehow contrived to clatter the bar from close range before heading in his side’s leveller.

The Seadogs huffed and puffed in the closing stages but could find no further way through leaving the Shieldsmen to travel home in good spirits.

North Shields: Morton, Donnison (Elliott 87), Grey, Coppen, Parker, Hughes, Luccock (Wrightson 62), Forster, Walker, Richardson, Holmes. Subs (not used): Turner, Hook, Smith, Bowman.

The winners of the replay will visit Ashington at the next stage on Saturday, September 13.

There is more cup action on Saturday as Shields go to Northallerton Town in the FA Vase, kick off 3pm.