Saints suffer derby defeat against Custom Plant

Lindisfarne Custom Planet took the spoils in the Barking Dog derby after an entertaining second half followed a drab goalless first period on a day when gale force winds made things difficult for both teams.

The first half was dominated by the wind as the ball spent more time off the pitch than on.

The only chance of note fell to the Lindy as Ross Seaman left two Quay defenders for dead before firing a stinging shot that Saints keeper Carl Henderson brilliantly tipped over the bar.

At the start of the second half Lindisfarne managed to get the ball down and play, and five minutes in they were rewarded with the opening goal. A great run down the left saw the ball cut back to Jonny Storey and he made no mistake, firing left footed past Henderson.

Saints should have levelled in their next attack as a great through ball found Anthony Bruce but he stuttered before sending his tame shot wide of the mark in Quay’s first real effort of the game.

Lindisfarne doubled their lead on the hour as another great run down the left saw the ball fired across goal, and with Storey about to tap home his second, defender Dale Johnson lunged to clear but was desperately unlucky to turn the ball into his own net for the second week in succession.

The Lindy were on top and they made it 3-0 in their next attack as Johnson failed to clear a cross into the box the ball fell to Paolo Black who fired high into the roof of the net.

With 15 minutes left Saints grabbed a lifeline as Kyle Austin’s free kick was met by skipper Mark Henderson whose looping header beat the keeper.

That hope became belief with five minutes left as Quay scored again. A long ball found Henderson through on goal and his lob over the keeper hit the bar before rebounding in off unlucky Lindisfarne defender Adam McCulloch.

Saints forced a corner in the last minute and when David Smith’s left footed in-swinger found Glen Johnson his header was deflected narrowly wide as it headed towards goal, but the referee pointed for a goal kick and as it was taken he blew for full-time.

Another good comeback effort from Saints but Lindisfarne fully deserved the three points after a great spell just after half-time as they adjusted to the difficult conditions better than Quay, who have a free week next Saturday and only two games of a disappointing season to go.

Willington Quay Saints: C Henderson, King, Smith, Dalby, D Johnson, K.Austin, M Henderson, Ferrier (Young 70), Breheny, Bruce (Foggett 62), G Johnson.