Spartans sparkle in 3-0 victory

Blyth Spartans put their disappointment of FA Trophy defeat behind them on Bonfire night with a 3-0 victory over Droyslden.

The victory came thanks to Matthew Wade, Sonny Andrews and a Ryan Cummings goal during the dying embers of the game that ensured that Tom Wade’s side rocketed up to fourth in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League table.

Ahead of a busy few weeks Wade and Assistant Colin Myers took the chance to rotate their squad with Danny Parker, Louis Horner and Arran Wearmouth restored to the starting lineup in place of Nathan Buddle, Joe Kendrick and Craig Hubbard.

Spartans dominated the opening quarter of the game but only had one real chance of note.

They could and in all honesty should have taken the lead as Danny Parker contrived to stab wide from six yards after getting on the end of an inswinging Dan Maguire corner.

For all of their domination Spartans could have went behind midway through the first half. Bloods winger Daniel McLoughlin found a yard of space twenty yards from goal but could only curl a wonderful right footed effort just wide of Michael Misiewicz’s far post.

Seemingly motivated by the threat of going behind Spartans pressed forward and took the lead on the half hour mark with a goal that will certainly help those inside Croft Park remember remember the Fifth of November.

Damen Mullen broke down the right hand side and crossed to the edge of the visitors area.

That found Matthew Wade who took one touch before swivelling and volleying past Sam Andrew before the Bloods keeper could even react.

A wonderful strike and the former Washington midfielder’s third in a Spartans shirt, all of which have come at Croft Park.

If Wade’s goal was impressive then his pass to set up Sonny Andrew’s goal eight minutes before the break was equally as memorable.

Pouncing on a loose ball in midfield Wade volleyed an inch perfect through ball for Spennymoor Town loanee Andrews.

Without breaking his stride Andrews crashed home a volley of his own from the edge of the box to leave Andrew grasping at thin air. That rounded off a fairly comfortable first half for Spartans as they went into the break with a two goal half time lead for the first time this season.

That two goal lead should have been three minutes after the break as Dan Maguire released Arron Wearmouth in on goal. However the young winger couldn’t match his excellent first touch with his finish and dragged a left foot shot wide of the near post.

With Spartans seemingly comfortable they sat back slightly and allowed the visitors plenty of possession without really threatening.

Only a long range effort from Carlos Edmundson threatened Misiewicz’s goal and even then that threat was minimal as the twenty five yard shot drifted well wide.

Driven on in midfield by the impressive Lewis Horner, Spartans began to take control as the half wore on. However they did so without really testing Andrew and the points seemed in the bag. A two goal lead is never a comfortable one though and the Bloods wasted their only real chance to ruin a clean sheet for Spartans. Substitute Lattie Aeon burst down the left and found Edumndson with his cross but the midfielder crashed wide of the near post.

A comfortable win for Wade’s side was rounded off in the ninetieth minute as Robbie Dale lit the touch paper and burst down the left hand side.

The winger whistled past his marker before laying the ball back to Ryan Cummings. The youngster took the chance on first time and coolly rolled the ball in the net from twelve yards.