Sunday league prepares for cup finals

NEXT Sunday the league will be holding their first cup finals of the campaign at Bedlington Terriers Ground. In a 10.30am kick off Ashington Grand Street will meet The Albert North Shields in the Saints Shield. This final is sponsored by C R Scott Ltd Blyth.

Then in the afternoon with a 2.30pm kick off, Burradon and New Fordley will meet Newbiggin FC in the SA Randolph Cup. Our league sponsor Standard Security sponsors this final. Please make an effort to attend either final.

Back to today’s matches. Ashington Mortimer progressed to the semi-final of the George Davison Cup. They won away against first division side Monkseaton Hunting Lodge by 5-0. Hunting Lodge were no match for the slick football produced by the Mortimer. Star man for the Hunting Lodge was Nigel Morris. Goals for the Mortimer came from Trevor Newman, Martin Humble, David Riches, Michael Thompson and Brian Henderson. Their star player was Greg Dance.

In the J D Marnock cup semi finals there were wins for Earsdon Red Lion over fellow first division side Blyth High Street. In addition, Newbiggin won away against Ashington White House 3-0. Star man for the White House was Nicky Davison. Goals for Newbiggin came from Tony Messenger with two and Ashley Smyth. Rob Holden was their star player. Red Lion had a player who produced his best performance of the season as they beat High Street 6-3. Phil Harbertson could do nothing wrong and helped himself to a hat-trick. Michael Hartley two and Graeme Smith also scored. Scoring for the High Street was Alan Fairbairn, Jason Smart and Anthony Goldie. Star players were Phil Harbertson for the Lion and Anthony Goldie for the Street.

The premier division saw Ashington RAOB win at home against Tynemouth Gunner by 5-1. Leading the scoring for the Buffs was Michael Freathy with a hat-trick. Further goals came from Craig Robinson and Joe Race. Star man was Kristian Priest. Chris Appleby was on target for the Gunner with David Pill their star man.

Blyth Comrades also won at home against Whitley Bay Cibos by 3-1. Daniel Long netted twice with Terry Self also on the score sheet for the Comrades. Garrick Collins scored the consolation goal for the Cibos. Star players were James Curry Comrades and James Milner for the Cibos.

Ashington Grand Street went down at home in division one by the odd goal in five against New Delaval and Newsham. Chris Hogg and Chris Wilson scored for the Grand Street. Gary Purvis was their star man. Goals for the Delaval side came from Jason Quinn, Steven Molloy and Jason Hamilton. Paddy Allen was their star player.

Blyth Seahorse and North Shields Gunner shared the points in 3-3 draw. Seahorse raced into a 2-0, lead with long distance strikes from Paul Cotterill and Andrew Dodds. This sparked the Gunner into life. They fought back and drew level with strikes from James D Ridley and a tap in for Adam Burn when the Seahorse keeper slipped. The Gunner took a 3-2 lead with a goal from Martyn Evans late in the second half. David Reed scored the Seahorse’s leveller with minutes remaining. Star players were David Burt Seahorse and Martyn Evans for the Gunner.

The Albert maintained their push to catch the leaders up with a 5-0 win at home against New Hartley. On target for the Albert was David Kerr two, Richard May, Andrew Doig and Ian Dunn. Star player was David Kerr. Star man for Hartley was Carl French.

The last game in the division produced 12 goals. Monkseaton Arms raced into a 3-0 lead at home to the Rockcliffe Arms. The Rockcliffe then hit the come back trail. They scored three to get themselves level. The Arms then went back in front, only to be pulled back again. The Arms then scored two goals to stretch their lead. However, the Rockcliffe pulled a goal back, but the Arms scored another to end 7-5 winners. Star man Liam Hudson scored a hat-trick for the Arms. Gary Parker added two more. Antony Brannon and Mark Allen scored the other two. Goals for the Rockcliffe came from a man in form Simon Gourley who netted four times. Their final goal was an own goal. Even scoring four goals, Simon Gourley failed to get the star player award by Jonny Storrey.

Division two saw Ashington Fox Cover win a thrilling game against Blyth Prince of Wales by the odd goal in five. James Campbell and Brian Clough scored for the Prince. Keeper John Hewitson was their star player. On target for the Cover were Steven Clark, Steven Gardener and Kris Allington. Star player was Graham Dawson.

Blyth South Beach continued their push for promotion with a hard fought win away to North Shields Catholic Club. They beat their host by the odd goal in nine. Scoring for the Catholic Club was Terry Legg, Andrew Walker, Kevin Teague and old-timer Ian Maholam. Star man was Andrew Walker. Goals for the Beach came from Tony Guy and Michael Meyers who both scored two. The final goal came from Stuart Dickinson. Star player was Jason Reveley.

Bedlington Community were no match for promotion chasers Ashington Grand. They went down 6-0 at home. Star man for the Community was Liam Issac. Goals for the Grand came from Paul Hedley hat-trick. Further goals came from Nicky Dunn, Robert Groves and Ross Crate. Star man was Mark Hedley.

Clubs please remember I will be at the cup finals next week. So please ring my mobile number (07730 768406) with your results. Please do not leave messages, as I will not be able to retrieve them.