Two Whitley Bay sides miss out on cup glory

WHITLEY Bay Cibos just missed out on their first cup of the year after being beaten 2-1 by Burradon and New Fordley in the final of the Alan Davison Cup, held at Bedlington Welfare.

In a game which could have gone either way, Burradon had the better of the first period in which Steve Howes gave them the lead.

Cibos came more into the game in the closing stages of the first half then came out in the second half and took the game to Burradon, getting back on level terms with a goal from James Milner.

Both sides had plenty of chances to take the lead, however Burradon’s Paul Alexander scored the winning goal.

In the Eric Anderson Cup final Ashington Grand were up against Whitley Bay Bedroom.

In a very hard fought game, Whitley Bay Bedroom were playing well above their league position against favourites the Grand, with the game ending 1-1 after 90 minutes.

In extra time, and with both teams down to ten men, The Grand took control while the Bedroom did not help themselves after being reduced to nine players, with The Grand running out 4-1 winners.

Goals for the Grand came from David Jones (2), Ryan Lonsdale and Wayne Tait. Carl Stewart scored for the Bedroom.

In the league, Ashington Mortimer had a comfortable 4-0 win at home against Tynemouth Gunner. The fight for the title of this division will be very close as Burradon have games in hand over their rivals the Mortimer and the Cibos.

In a very good game Blyth Comrades just came out on top 2-1 away to the Eagle.

The division one promotion race is hotting up with all the sides chasing promotion securing wins.

Title favourites the Albert won 3-0 at home against the Milbourne Arms.

In the Monkseaton derby, the Hunting Lodge came out on top 4-1 against the Arms. On target for the Lodge was Paul Richardson (2), Stephen Dynes and Andrew McCartney. Scoring for the Arms was Liam Hudson.

North Shields Gunner were made to fight all the way before securing a 3-2 win away at High Street. Scoring for the Gunner was James D Ridley, Adam Burn and Martyn Evans.

Rockcliffe Arms enjoyed a 3-1 win over Earsdon Red Lion. Jonny Storrey, Simon Gourley and Ross Cooper scored their goals. Gary Wright for Red Lion.

After the disappointment of losing in the final last week, Ashington Grand Street came storming back with a 4-0 win over Blyth Masons Arms.

In division two, there was only one game. North Shields Catholic Club beat the youngsters from Bedlington Community 7-4.

Goals for the Catholic Club came from Ian Maholam (2), Nicky Whitelaw (2), Adrian Sweeny (2) and Andrew Walker.

Goals for the Community came from Richard Stobbart (2), Carl Stobbart and Antonie Harrison.