Two wins secure second place for North Shields Athletic Reserves

West Jesmond celebrated victory in the Neville Cowey Cup Final after they claimed a 2-1 victory over Ponteland United Reserves at Newcastle Benfield FC on Tuesday evening.

Monday, 23rd May 2016, 11:29 am
Updated Monday, 23rd May 2016, 12:33 pm
North Shields Athletic Reserves.

Jesmond had previously won the competition in 2013, seeing off Kenton Bar Community 4-1 in the final at Percy Main, whilst Ponteland went down to Hazlerigg Victory in last year’s final at the same venue.

A tight first half saw West Jesmond have most of the play and the best of the early chances, with Stephen Callaghan heading wide of the target, although Pont also threatened themselves and were unlucky not to take the lead when John McAdam crashed an effort against the crossbar.

Seven minutes before the interval West Jesmond went in front as a wide free kick from Jed Manuel found the net, and they doubled the lead seven minutes after the break as Kester Young was fouled in the box and Danny Cousins stepped up to convert the penalty, with Pont reduced to ten men.

As with last Saturday’s Tyneside Amateur Shield final, though, the ten men showed tremendous resilience to fight back, reducing the arrears with ten minutes left as Dan Troughton headed home their 100th goal of the season.

West Jesmond held on, however, with Cousins named man of the match for a tireless effort capped by his goal.

In the league, North Shields Athletic Reserves picked up two wins in four days to seal second place.

An injury to their regular goalkeeper forced Leeroy Odd to play himself in goal, and he kept a clean sheet as they beat Newbiggin Hall 4-0. Marc Crammond netted their 100th goal of the campaign, and was joined on the scoresheet by Nicky Henderson, Dan Haggerston and Paul Richardson.

Odd was denied a second consecutive clean sheet as Chris Lowther gave Wardley an early lead on Saturday, but when Shields were awarded a penalty the spectators were treated to the unusual sight of the goalkeeper bringing himself forward to net the penalty. Dan Haggerston got the winner as he tapped home a rebound early in the second half after Callum Brown had hit the post.

Forest Hall YPC ended their season on a winning note, as Matthew Smith netted the only goal in their win over Gosforth Bohemian Reserves, who can still finish third if they win their final game on Wednesday.

That is after Ponteland United Reserves went down 4-2 to Newcastle Medicals in their final game of the campaign. Faisal Tufail, Mark Tobin, Chris Needham and Neil Freeman were on the mark for Medicals, to ensure they will not finish bottom of the pile.

Medics had also scored four in their previous game against Blyth Town Development, but five strikes from the visitors earned them the points. Tufail was joined on the scoresheet this time by Greg Egu-Chijioke, Matthew Carnell and Liam Walton.

Town then earned a 2-2 draw with Stobswood Welfare thanks to a brace from Andy Bell. Jacob Baker and Stefan O’Brien were the Welfare marksmen.

Newcastle East End won 5-1 at Killingworth YPC, while a pair of goals each from Andy McLennan and Tommy Wilkinson saw Bedlington Juniors win 4-1 at Newcastle Chemfica Reserves, who had David Scott on the scoresheet.