Tyne Met 2nds get first win in four games

Tyne Met 2nds won for the first time in four games with a good 2-1 win over East Durham thanks to goals from Alex Yarrow and Carl Haytor.

Friday, 5th February 2016, 09:55 am
Updated Friday, 5th February 2016, 09:59 am

The home side made a strong start and could have been ahead as early as the fifth minute. Good build up play involving Reece Burns led to Haytor’s shot being blocked, but it fell to Alex Yarrow whose snap shot was brilliantly tipped round the post by East Durhams goalkeeper.

From the resulting corner, Jack Hopper found space in the box and should of done better when well placed but volleyed over.

The best move of the game involving Rowlandson, Hopper and Hudson released the ever dangerous Yarrow, whose cross was just to close to the East Durham goalkeeper.

However from the next attack, and following good work from Aaron Crawford, Yarrow picked up the ball and played a one-two with Haytor and unleashed a right footed shot from 25 yards that flew into the top corner for a brilliant goal.

Tyne Met goalkeeper Liam Henderson had to be alert when a good East Durham counter attack found their striker through on goal as he blocked the shot.

Good forward play from Haytor led to him feeding Reece Burns down the right who in turn found the excellent Dan Hudson who tried his luck from distance but his effort cleared the crossbar.

After dominating the first half Tyne Met were slow to start the second and let their opponents control more of the game as they pressed without troubling Henderson in goal.

The controlled, measured approach which had seen Tyne Met dominate the first half was no more as the game became scrappy and East Durham went close again when a cross was flashed across goal with no one able to make any contact.

East Durham then missed a glorious chance when clean through, but the striker’s attempted lob could only find the hands of Liam Henderson.

Tyne Met then doubled their lead against the run of play. A long throw into the box was not cleared and Callum Fearon produced some good footwork to see him go past two defenders, and as the ball ran through to Haytor he made no mistake from ten yards with a smart finish.

East Durham reduced the deficit with a goal ten minutes after Haytor’s strike.

The visitors continued to press in search for the equaliser and forced numerous corners, but Tyne Met defended well and blocked shots when they had to.

If the first half had shown their quality on the ball while the second half was about digging in and seeing the game out, which they did despite Henderson being forced into a good save with minutes remaining.

Second team coach Paul Robinson said: “A good win and pleasing performance from the lads. Especially first half.

“Second half we had to dig in and show a different side of our character, but I think we deserved the win in the end.

“Fantastic goal from Alex Yarrow to get us going and a smart finish from Carl Haytor. Dan Hudson was excellent throughout.”