Tyne Met complete another double

Tyne Metropolitan College 1st team completed a second double of the season with a 5-2 success over Bishop Burton College.

Monday, 14th March 2016, 9:54 am
Updated Monday, 14th March 2016, 9:56 am

Conditions were tough with driving wind and rain, but it helped produce a first half that was an exciting affair with five goals.

Tyne Met were in front after only five minutes when Jack Cooper burst through and after his initial shot was parried he needed two more attempts to finally score.

Bishops hit back just ten minutes later when a poor touch by Jay Hornsby conceded possession which led to a swift counter attack and a goal.

But barely a minute later, Cooper’s pass found Joe Walton on the right and he squared the ball past the on-rushing goalkeeper to Aidan Lynn who calmly found the empty net for 2-1.

The game was open and Bishop fired wide from a good position before drawing level for a second time when a right wing cross was not dealt with and the number nine had too much time and space, and although his first effort was saved, the rebound was tapped home for 2-2.

Not to be denied, Tyne Met made sure they went into the break in front as right on half-time James Proctor beat the offside trap when he latched onto a great through ball from Hornsby and proceeded to lob the keeper with a neat finish.

The visitors made a bright start to the second half with the wind at their backs and they pressed the ball high and caused a few problems without genuinely testing Jacob Shotton in goal.

Tyne Met countered well and were denied three times by narrow offside decisions when in the clear.

Tyne Met produced their best defensive display second half, staying compact and hard to break down.

With Bishop Burton tiring in the later stages Tyne Met hit them with a sucker punch when sub Dan Hudson was set free by Proctor and he should great composure to round the keeper and slot home for 4-2.

This seemed to finish the game as a contest as Tyne Met took over, buoyed on by the two-goal lead.

Reece Harrison and the outstanding Josh Willis set a fierce pace in midfield, controlling the game and triggering attack after attack.

It was no surprise when the next goal arrived, but it also had a bit of fortune when Ryan Thomas found Walton on the left and he beat his man to cross the ball, which floated straight into the goal aided by the swirling wind.