Tyne Met knocked out of Premier Cup by late Middlesbrough goal

Tyne Metropolitan College first team had their Premier Cup hopes dashed by Middlesbrough when they conceded in the dying minutes after squandering a number of chances.

Friday, 5th February 2016, 09:55 am
Updated Friday, 5th February 2016, 09:59 am

Tyne Met made the perfect start when they went in front on three minutes when Regan Paterson converted following a corner.

Playing against a strong breeze, the away side held their lead quite comfortably and stood firm against a lot of long balls.

Following another corner Joe Walton was unlucky not to double the lead when his first time effort was blocked near the line.

The game opened up on the half hour when a Boro player moved into the right side of the box. With four Tyne Met players defending the situation left back Jay Hornsby put in a rash challenge that floored the home player so a penalty was awarded and converted for 1-1.

Just minutes later a Paterson cross found James Proctor in acres of room in the box but a heavy touch made him hurry a shot which hit the post.

Boro went straight down the pitch and it took a Josh Willis recovering clearance to avert the danger.

Tyne Met’s Jack Cooper then split the defence with a great diagonal pass which Proctor received on the right wing and he delivered a cross only for Paterson to put over from four yards.

With the breeze at their backs, Tyne Met dominated the second half but could not find a breakthrough.

Time and time again they got in behind the Boro defence but a combination of poor choices and finishing was to prove costly.

Cooper and Reece Harrison missed the target from the edge of the box after a breakaway and Paterson forced the keeper into a splendid save but then missed the target after great work down the right channel.

Willis forced another save from distance and another couple of crosses from Proctor flashed across the goal.

On 88 minutes Tyne Met were punished with a cruel blow as a misjudged challenge put the home striker in the clear and although his effort was weak somehow it looped up over keeper Shotton’s hand and into the goal.

Tyne Met forced two late corners but Boro held on to move into the last eight.