TyneMet seconds lose out in close cup encounter

TyneMet 2nd team lost out to Gateshead 1sts in the Premier Cup but held their own against their higher level opposition.

Having already knocked out Gateshead’s 3rd and 2nd teams, this was a tough draw but TyneMet did well, especially during the first 45 minutes where they could have sneaked ahead on more than one occasion.

TyneMet’s game plan was to sit in and frustrate Gateshead and play on the counter, and this worked a treat throughout the first half with the visitors only creating half chances and TyneMet being more than a threat on the break with the pace of Aidan Lynn and Joe Elrod causing problems.

The home side were organised and disciplined with good performances from everyone in a blue shirt.

Lynn should of given them the lead midway through a tight first half but when played in over the top by Jack Hopper his touch let him down and the Gateshead defence were able to get back and clear.

Meanwhile Jordan Coleman had to be sharp in goal when called upon and made two smart saves.

The best chance of the half fell to Niko Glowacki, who did everything right when played through. He lifted the ball over a recovering defender and but he was unable to connect with the volley and the danger was cleared.

Glowacki again worked his way into the penalty area but his shot was blocked when a cross may have been the better option.

Half chances came and went for Gateshead and TyneMet dealt with them .

The second half started with Gateshead in possession and it was only 90 seconds in when they took the lead in dubious circumstances.

With a Gateshead winger in possession in the box but being ushered away from danger he went down and to the frustration of the TyneMet players a penalty was given, from which Gateshead the lead.

The visitors took control and Coleman had to be alert in the TyneMet goal to keep them out.

TyneMet tried to get back into the tie but Gateshead finished the game off as a contest with 15 minutes remaining following a break away which was drilled home.

Gateshead completed the scoring in the final minute with another penalty following a foul.

Second team coach Paul Robinson said: “I thought the lads were brilliant and on another day we could have took the lead and it would have been a different game.

“We set up with a game plan to frustrate, stay compact and look to hit Gateshead on the counter, which worked, but a dubious penalty was the difference.

“Up to that point we had more than matched them.

“Gateshead’s class told in the end but my boys can be proud and we have to build on this going forward when we play teams at our own level.”