Tyneside Amateur League leaders East End lose unbeaten record

Tyneside Amateur League leaders Newcastle East End were beaten for the first time this season as Ryton and Crawcrook Albion Reserves returned from Swans Recreation Ground with a 5-3 victory.

The sides had met on the opening day of the campaign, when East End ran out 3-2 victors, but Albion turned the tables thanks in no small part to a hat-trick from in-form Ryan Latimer. Steven Cain and Farmer netted their other goals, with East End’s counters coming from Dario de Santos, Kevin Evans and Regan Patterson.

The only other league game also saw an away victory as Lindisfarne Custom Planet Reserves, who are unbeaten on the road but have picked up just one point at home, won 2-1 at Wardley. Joe Burridge and Chris Conway were their marksmen, with Joseph Beatie on target for the South Tynesiders.

Eleven of the league’s sides were in action in the second round of the Ideal Stelrad Northumberland FA Minor Cup, and six clubs moved into the next stage.

In an all-amateur league affair it was North Shields Athletic Reserves who prevailed 5-1 at Bedlington Juniors. Mark Davison, Dan Haggerston, Ryan Niven, Scott Parker and Jonny Tait were all on the scoresheet, joined by Bedlington’s Andy McLennan.

Two teams progressed by beating higher ranked opposition, with Ponteland United beating last season’s finalists and reigning Tyneside Amateur League champions Hazlerigg Victory 3-1. Scott Hulse, Jake Lynch and Daniel Troughton scored for Pont. Stobswood Welfare were the other side to defy the odds, seeing off Wallsend Labour Club 2-1.

Forest Hall won an exciting tie 3-2 at Seghill, Mark Patterson sealing their berth with a splendid free kick to add to an earlier strike of his own and another from James Milner. Newcastle Chemfica Reserves found life rather easier as they saw off Alnmouth 13-0, while Newbiggin Hall progressed after their opponents were unable to play.

Gosforth Bohemian Reserves were 4-3 ahead against Newcastle Chemfica Independent firsts heading into the final minute of the game, but conceded and went on to lose 5-4. Stephen Salter (2), Colin McLaughlin and Paul Dixon were their scorers.

Killingworth YPC also put up a brave effort but succumbed 1-0 to New Fordley, whilst Blyth Town Development suffered a disappointing 5-3 loss to FC Newcastle Hustlers, and Newcastle Medicals sadly were unable to take the field, bowing out in the process.