United through to final on penalties

PONTELAND United Reserves will meet Chopwell in the North East Amateur Challenge Shield Final after beating Stobswood Welfare in the semi-final.

The game was level at 1-1 after 120 minutes, with Stefan Tweddle scoring for Welfare and Ryan Murphy for Ponteland. Pont then held their nerve to win 5-4 on penalties to progress to the final.

Kenton Bar Community and Lindisfarne Athletic qualified from Group A of the Neville Cowey Cup after both registering two wins in the week.

Kenton beat Chemfica Reserves 3-0 on Wednesday with goals from Sam Hands and Gary Winter (2).

Then on Saturday a goal each from the same duo saw them past North Shields Athletic Reserves 2-0.

Lindisfarne beat North Shields Town 3-2 in a tight contest in midweek, with Johnny Storey again netting a hat-trick, with John Patterson bagging a brace for Town. Storey was at the double on Saturday as they beat Newcastle Medicals 2-0. Kenton and Lindy will play for top spot in the group in midweek.

Medicals had also lost to North Shields Athletic Reserves in midweek, with Daniel Capewell, Leeroy Odd and an own goal on the scoresheet.

North Shields Town got a win on the board by beating Chemfica 3-1, with Matthew Slater and Steven Robinson (2) scoring, and an Anthony Bruce consolation.

West Jesmond win Group B after beating Gosforth Bohemian A 4-0 with Jed Manuel, David Wells, Gary Wilkinson and Kester Young scoring. Bohs had given themselves a chance with a midweek draw against New York, where Gregg Lang and Jamie Heaton had them 2-0 up before Richard Nugent and Alan Rivett squared the game.

Chopwell left themselves only needing a point by beating Ponteland 5-2 in the week, with Jamie Bush, Alan Rennison, Irving Ruddick, Derek Waters and Shaun Wilson on target, and replies from Ryan Murphy and Daniel Gallagher.

New York, however, claimed the second qualification spot with a 2-1 win over Chopwell, who took the lead through Alan Rennison. Daniel Henderson and Graeme Smith’s goals after the break saw New York into the semi-finals.

Winlaton The Queens Head have qualified from John Hampson Memorial Trophy Group A despite a 4-0 loss to Cullercoats Reserves, who had Luke Fergusson, James Ridley (2) and Dean Clay on target.

Heaton Rifles had mixed fortunes in the week, firstly beating Wardley 5-2 with a brace from Dominic Hall and a hat-trick from Jonny Muse. Carl Clarke and Michael Robinson scored for Wardley, who were eliminated. Heaton then lost 2-1 at Walker Central Reserves, who were nevertheless eliminated as well. David Doogan scored for Rifles, but a pair of screamers from Steven Vickers won it for Walker. Heaton face Cullercoats in midweek in a battle for the second qualification place.

Gosforth Bohemian Reserves shrugged off last week’s semi-final disappointment by beating FoWS Diggers 1-0 to qualify from Group B as winners, Pete Hall scoring the vital goal.

Stobswood qualify in second after a 2-1 win over Newcastle East End in midweek. Elliott Patterson and Steve Gibbard saw them home despite a consolation from Callum Rowntree.

The sole game in the league saw West Jesmond move to the top of division one with a 4-0 win at FoWS Diggers, with Dougie Cranston, Jed Manuel, Gary Wilkinson and Kester Young netting.

The league are continuing to invite new applicant clubs for the 2013-14 season. Anyone interested should contact league secretary Brad Malcolm on bradmalcolm@hotmail.co.uk