Victory come out on top in shield semi-final

After securing final berths in the Tyneside Amateur Challenge Shield last weekend, on Saturday Hazlerigg Victory and Gosforth Bohemian Reserves competed for a place in the decider of the Neville Cowey Cup.

Bohs had inflicted one of just two defeats on Hazlerigg this season in their first league meeting back in September, as well as beating them in the Neville Cowey Cup last season.

But on this occasion it was Victory who came out on top thanks to another brace from the prolific Dale Pearson, with David Hodgson netting in vain for Gosforth.

The other semi-final also saw friends reunited as Stobswood Welfare travelled to Ponteland United Reserves.

Ponteland got the better of Stobswood at the same stage of the North East Amateur Challenge Shield two seasons ago on penalties, whilst Welfare gained their revenge with a win in the quarter-final of the same competition last season.

This time around, goals from Daniel Mupungu and Daniel Potter earned Ponteland their spot in the final.

In the league, Lindisfarne Custom Planet Reserves dragged themselves closer to the rest of the pack with their fourth win in six games, 4-1 against North Shields Athletic Reserves. Chris Conway netted twice, with Kirk Floyd and Will Thomson also on target for Lindy.

Wardley won by the same margin, their first win in five games, against Bedlington Juniors. Dean Kirtley scored twice, bringing his tally to five in his last three games, and Aaron Coote and Bradley Nicholson also scored for the victors. Darren Percy’s strike was scant consolation for Bedlington.

Blyth Town Reserves had a good 6-2 win against West Jesmond. Brandon Nadeem and Eoin Ridley both bagged braces for Town, with Nathaniel Lynn and Sam Watts joining them on the scoresheet. Jesmond’s replies came from Douglas Cranston and Ed Shanks.

Newcastle Chemfica Reserves beat Ryton and Crawcrook Albion Reserves 2-1, with Ellis Bowman scoring both of their goals, edging out Steven Cain’s sole strike for Albion.

Newcastle Medicals returned from Newcastle East End with a point thanks to a Ross Brown goal.