Victory to strong for Stobswood Welfare

The wet weather sweeping the region put paid to most of the Tyneside Amateur League programme, but two games in division two went ahead, with the top two both in action.

Game of the day pitted in-form Stobswood Welfare, who had won five of their last six games in all competitions, against leaders Hazlerigg Victory, who went into the game on the back of eight league wins in a row.

It was Welfare, however, who were quickest out of the blocks, taking the game to the visitors from the off and going in front after just ten minutes when Jacob Baker slotted home.

It took Hazlerigg a while to get into their stride, but on the half hour Kurt Blacklock squared it for Dean Gallagher to level from inside the six-yard box.

The Wood continued to have the better of the first half but missed key chances, and were made to pay when after hopeful penalty appeals for handball, a deep centre was spectacularly volleyed home at the far post by Stephen Henton bang on the half-time whistle.

When Gallagher scored his second and Hazlerigg’s third from the spot seven minutes after the break, Stobswood’s young heads began to drop, and Victory went on to take full advantage.

They won another penalty midway through the second half, but Craig Pearson’s effort smashed against the crossbar.

However, the league’s top scorer Blacklock was to add another hat-trick to his tally in the final 15 minutes to bring up a 6-1 scoreline, while Sean Bates was denied a spectacular 40-yard strike by the crossbar in added time.

Ryton and Crawcrook Albion Reserves remain two points behind, having played a game more, after a 4-2 win over Newcastle Medicals, for whom Andrew Hall bagged a brace.

Phil Hodges, Chris Henderson, Stephen Spoors and a spectacular 20 yard chip from Simon Heath secured victory for Ryton.

The bottom two in division one met in the Tyneside Amateur Challenge Shield play off, with visitors Heaton Rifles running out 4-1 winners at FoWS Diggers. Rifles will face North Shields Athletic Reserves in the quarter-final.

Meanwhile Wardley unfortunately exited from the Durham FA Minor Cup 4-1 at the hands of Wearhead United, despite a goal from Aaron Coote.