Whitley Bay pay penalty for failing to make dominance count

Whitley Bay lost at home to Sunderland RCA on Saturday in a game they should have had won by half-time.

Monday, 25th April 2016, 5:34 pm
Updated Monday, 25th April 2016, 6:38 pm
Whitley Bay striker Ash Davis is brought down by a challenge from Sunderland RCA's Ross McNab.

But they had only one goal to show for their first half superiority and after the interval the visitors gradually forced their way into the game and took the points thanks to two goals in the final 16 minutes.

Due to a series of injuries and with Richard Flynn completing a three-match suspension, Whitley fielded a depleted side and their cause was not helped when three reserve team players called up for the game made themselves unavailable, leaving Ian Chandler with a threadbare squad.

Under the circumstances Whitley made a good start and after Aiden Haley had tested keeper Michael Woud in the seventh minute, they went ahead six minutes later when Callum Munro’s shot was blocked by the keeper but the ball fell for Alex Kempster who rifled the rebound into the net from ten yards.

A glancing header from Kempster was pushed over the bar and the same player brought a save with a stooping header from Munro’s cross.

A tremendous volley from Stuart Bramley was followed by a header from Ash Davis which was cleared off the line by Luke Richardson as Whitley repeatedly went close to increasing their lead.

Five minutes before the interval, Munro saw a 25-yard shot pushed round the post.

It was a different story in the second half as Michael Charlton forced Dan Gladstone to push a goalbound effort over the bar.

RCA brought on Joe Hughes for the final half hour and his influence proved decisive.

With 74 minutes played he crossed from the right and Colin Larkin tapped home from close range to level the score.

The visitors were getting on top and three minutes later Lane fired a dangerous ball across the face of goal but with no end result.

Callum Patton went close for Whitley but with just three minutes left, a shot from Hughes hit the far post and ex-Bay midfielder Callum Hope was on hand to slot home the winner.

By this stage, Whitley’s shortage of resources was such that they had been forced to use goalkeeper Tom Flynn as an on-field substitute for the closing stages of the game.

Whitley Bay: Gladstone, McFarlane, McDonald, Bramley (T Flynn 82), Gibson, Munro (Berry 61), Haley, Fowler, Davis (Day 78), Patton, Kempster.

Attendance: 192.