Willington Quay Saints Labour to derby defeat

Wallsend Labour club ran out comfortable winners in the hotly anticipated Howdon derby as three second half goals led them to a first ever win over the Quay with former Saint Kane Chirnside the chief tormentor with 2 goals against his old club.

Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 6:17 pm
Updated Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 6:22 pm

On a rare sunny Saturday the derby started in front of a big crowd and it was the home side who threatened first as Chirnside beat keeper Carl Henderson to a long ball and was brought down wide on the left the in-swinging free kick was desperately scrambled away as Wallsend started brightly.

Chirnside then got onto another through ball and rounded Henderson 25 yards out but his effort from a tight angle went wide of the post as defenders got back on the line to make the chance much more difficult.

A series of Wallsend corners caused the Saints all kind of problems as Chris Chan found himself unmarked on three occasions only being denied an opener from some brave last ditch challenges and a great clearance off the line from Captain Mark Henderson as the home side piled on the pressure.

The Quay finally got themselves forward half an hour in and when they did they should of scored as Ross Thirlaway found himself through on goal but his shot from 12 yards was well saved by Labour Club keeper Ryan Kirtley as the Saints finally woke up.

The half time whistle saw the sides in level at 0-0 with Wallsend ruing their missed opportunities but five minutes into the second half they weren’t worried about them anymore as they took the lead with their first attack . A Declan King cross was flicked into the path of Chris Chan by a Saints defender and he coolly finished past Henderson using his knee to do so from 10 yards as the Labour Club took a well deserved lead.

The home side had their tails up and they were only denied a second by a tremendous tackle from Phil Doolan who slid to clear when it looked like Chirnside would score. The tackle led to a throw in to Wallsend with the Saints players arguing with the referee that he had gave it the wrong way they were too bothered arguing as Craig Blacks cross flew across goal only to fall at the feet of Chirnside who took a touch before firing into the corner to double the lead.

The Quay sent on Andy Breheny for Jack Dixon as they looked to find a way back into the game but their closest effort saw Doolan fire a long range free kick just over the bar but the keeper had it well covered.

With the Saints piling men forward for a long throw in the Labour club grabbed a third with a clinical counter attack, A clearance found another former Saint Liam Taylor who was having a great game and he played a fine ball through to Chirnside who showed a devastating turn of pace to run through and fire into the corner to wrap up the derby win for his side.

Mark Wilkinson fired a left footed shot harmlessly wide late on and the Quay thought they should of had a penalty with five minutes left as Mark Henderson went down in the box jumping for a header but the claims were waved away.

Wallsend could of scored again late on as Chirnside ran through again but he fired high over the bar looking for his hat-trick and not long after the game ended with the hosts comfortable 3-0 winners.

The Labour Club impressed in the win on a day to forget for Willington Quay as their rivals were better from start to finish and on another day the scoreline could have been more severe. Keeper Henderson was sent off after the game for dissent as the day got worse and with four games remaining the end of the season cant come quickly enough for the Saints.