Barbarians extended unbeaten league run

A convincing 90-22 home win over rivals Warriors RL saw Whitley Bay Barbarians extend their year long plus unbeaten run in the league.

With no other rugby related games going on, coach Seamus McCallion was able to field a close to strong as possible side, welcoming back Ben Dalton, Gavin Duffy and captain on the day Jonny Dubois.

Electing to kick-off, Whitley wasted no time in taking the lead after Mark Hall recovered the ball from a knock-on and went on the score.

Warriors hit back straight away scoring near the posts and successfully converted to led 6-4.

Dalton was next on the scoresheet after some good running, but again the conversion was missed.

Gavin Duffy soon followed this up with a try of his own as well as adding the extras for a 14-6 lead.

Dubois made an 80-metre run to score after picking up and going from the base of the scrum, Duffy added the conversion.

Ian Hardisty quickly followed up by powering through from a quick tap penalty to take the score to 26-6.

Kyle Wharton broke through next to take the score to 32-6 soon followed by Anthony Jordan making it 36-6.

Warriors took themselves to double figures before Hardisty and Chris Yeoman made a good breaks to make the half-time score 46-10 to the home side.

Straight after the interval the Babas scored again with Matthew Padden picking up a loose ball to score under the posts, Duffy kicking the extra two points for 52-10.

Warriors added the next 12 points with two converted tries, but the home side then completed the scoring with a combination of tries from captain Dubois, Jordan, Duffy and Gary Redshaw, plus Duffy conversions taking the score up to 86-22.

Warriors were reduced to 12 men having a man sin binned for mouthing off at the referee after taking offence to a hard but legal tackle from Aled Jones before Hardisty grabbed his hat-trick score under the posts on the final play, Duffy booting over the conversion.

A satisfying day for the Blue and Whites who next travel away to division one leaders Durham Demons in the second round of the NE Cup.