Battling 100 by Cox not enough in losing draw

editorial image

STERLING work from groundsman Paul Jackson meant Tynemouth got their home Premier League fixture with Hetton Lyons played on Saturday.

Skipper Ben Debnam elected to field but had to wait until 46 runs were on the board before David Hymers had Clay caught by Dan Candlish.

South African academy star Patrick Botha then took his first wicket for the club by bowling Shaun Birbeck for 40.

Young Ollie McGee then bamboozled Ryan Pringle, out for 39 and soon had Tindale caught at the wicket by Will Grant.

Botha was recalled and claimed three more Lyons wickets before Hymers removed Shah for 58 and had Watson stumped by Grant.

Botha ran out number ten Martin to see Lyons dismissed for only 182 in the 55th over.

Hymers took 3-56, Botha 4-42 and McGee 2-24.

Tynemouth were quite hopeful of overhauling the total but lost Candlish, bowled for a duck, and then Debnam for ten.

Rory Cox knuckled down to the task but lost Armstrong and Botha to ducks with the score only 39.

Former skipper Smith then embarked on a long stand with Cox and the pair moved the total on impressively to 152-5 when Smith was bowled Pringle for 41.

Time was moving on and overs were running out as runs were difficult to force. Cox was out only four runs later stumped off Shah for exactly 100.

The final overs were a battle of nerves with Hymers becoming Pringle’s fifth victim for two and Hollins bowling Watson for a duck.

Grant (5 no) and Newton (0 no) ensured the losing draw for Tynemouth after 65 overs with only 163-8 on the board.

In the reverse fixture, the second team got off to an indifferent start to the season, going down to a young Hetton Lyons team by 66 runs.

Tynemouth skipper Andrew Lineham won the toss and put the home side in after the recent wet weather suggested a bowler friendly pitch.

The move paid quick dividends as Ed Snelders removed opener Burnham for three, but McBeth and Marchant took the score to over 100. Great bowling by Ryan Macciocchi and Russell Perry reduced the home side to 169 all out in 43 overs with Perry taking 4-37 and Macciocchi 2-37.

In reply, Ben McGee was run out for two, quickly followed by Turner bowled for one, Chad Koen going first ball and Ben Richardson for four.

Richie Straughan (27) and Andrew Lineham (25) added 40 for the fourth wicket but with their departure in quick succession the innings faded away to a disappointing 103.