Below strength Monkseaton see off Stobswood

On Saturday Monkseaton Cricket Club first team welcomed Stobswood to Churchill Playing Fields and recorded an excellent win with four second team members in the side.

Stand-in skipper Matty Kleyhans won the toss and asked Stobswood to bat.

The first wicket fell when Jordan Murphy took an excellent catch at mid-on, diving forward and catching the ball inches from the ground off the bowling of Ian McDine.

The skipper rang the changes and introduced Chris Beever and Murphy to take the pace off the ball.

This reaped dividends with Beever bagging 4-20 including a smart stumping from stand-in wicketkeeper John Durkin, and Murphy getting 2-22, who bowled well apart from bowling too many wides.

Mike Driver took the remaining wicket as Stobswood finished on 160-8 the, highest scorer being extras at 39.

Beever and Kleyhans opened for Monkseaton, who set about the bowling with relish, racing to 80 off 15 overs.

Beever was first out for 44, caught in the covers and breaking his bat in the process.

Monkseaton lost a couple of quick wickets then Kleyhans was out for 57.

Veteran Bob Zanetti, nursing a pulled hamstring, steadied the ship and the match was won with 15 overs to spare, recording Monkseaton’s first win of the season.

The second team travelled to Stobswood for the reverse fixture and skipper Kevin Elliott lost the toss and was asked to bat.

In difficult conditions due to strong winds and occasional rain, the batsman found it hard going, with only ten runs coming off the first ten overs.

The innings gathered momentum with a beautiful knock from Rob Clarke who finished undefeated on 65, ably assisted by Andy Simms (30) and a nice little cameo from Richard Parkinson who scored 20 as they finished on 142-7.

By the time Monkseaton took the field the sun was out and together with the wind the wicket had dried out to make batting a lot easier.

Stobswood soon knocked off the runs, only losing one wicket taken by John Bishop.

The third team travelled to Howick where the home side batted first and scored 175-5.

The pick of the bowlers was ever-improving Joe Champken with two wickets. Darren Drew, Gavin Rankin and Andy Rees took one each.

Champken also top scored with the bat, getting 22, but Monkseaton were all out for 74.

It is a testament to the strength of the club that they still managed to get three teams out with the absence of at least ten players due to injury or holidays.