Boyd holds nerve to seal dramatic win for Percy Main

A busy week of the field, which saw Barry Stewart resign as captain, ended in dramatic fashion as Percy Main snatched victory from the jaws of defeat as Michael Boyd took the last Alnmouth and Lesbury wicket.

The Northumberland side had recovered from 90-8 to get within single figures of sealing an unlikely victory.

Club stalwart Richie Walker stood in for newly appointed, but injured skipper, Mark Armstrong. He carried on where Stewart left off and lost the toss, which saw Main put into bat.

The Villagers posted a competitive Score of 175 with Phil Cramman’s 50 being the highlight. Mitch Reid also made 39 and James Stanistreet 20.

In reply, Main made a great start as Andrew Green and Stewart took two early wickets each, helping reduce the visitors to 50-5.

The introduction of skipper Walker saw further wickets fall as the Villagers closed in on victory as Alnmouth were left teetering on 100-8.

However, a superb knock from Vickers, who made 87, took Alnmouth close to an unlikely victory.

With heavy drizzle falling and the home side struggling to hold the wet ball, the game was drifting away. But the home side bit back and Walker snared Vickers lbw, which the batsman disputed, but with no review available he had to go.

The final pair for Alnmouth still needed 17, yet incredibly got to within four before Boyd was thrown the ball and he became the hero as he got one to clatter into the pads to claim the final wicket and seal a dramatic victory.

In the second team fixture at Morpeth, stand-in skipper, Marty Smith won the toss and chose to bowl.

Despite looking green and with a few cracks, the pitch was true and Morpeth got off to a blistering start, punishing some wayward bowling.

Steve Whitmore, who had been unlucky seeing two catches go down of his first over, then struck twice to reduce morpeth to 50-2.

Morpeth continued to score freely but the introduction of Steve Patterson saw some control regained and he took three wickets during his spell.

Despite looking well set to post a big score, a middle order collapse saw Morpeth make 174 as Tony Robson (2), Mick Surtees, Blyth Duncan and Steve Peart taking the final wickets.

In reply Main lost Duncan in the first over, however, superb and destructive batting from Tony Robson and Peart saw the Villagers home inside 24 overs.

Robson made an unbeaten 65 and cruelly Peart was left unbeaten on 99 as a wide sealed victory.