Brown’s century helps side to draw

WITH the sky looking a threatening shade of grey, Tynemouth’s third team travelled to last year’s relegated club Hebburn for what would prove to be an enthralling encounter.

Tynemouth skipper Richard Hay won the toss and invited Hebburn to bat on a pitch that looked like it could offer something to the bowlers early on.

Ed Snelders struck first, removing opener Gary Taylor for only six.

Just as he was getting into his stride, Hebburn captain Younger was bowled by Hay for 24, leaving Hebburn at 53-2.

With rain falling on the pitch, Hebburn number three Tatum went after the bowling, playing several risky strokes and never really looking in.

He departed after attempting one big shot too many off Snelders, and was well caught by Lee Reed at mid-off.

The ever improving Daniel Storey then struck in his first over to remove the hobbling Cioffi for four with a well taken caught and bowled.

As Buglass and Berry pushed the score on, a change in the bowling brought about a wicket when Nick Brown had Berry (21) athletically caught behind by Chris Fairley.

Storey then struck again with a lovely delivery to bowl the dangerous Buglass for 42.

This left Hebburn on 136-6 after 35 overs and needing to pick up the rate if they were to post a competitive total.

The return of Snelders to the attack brought about the wicket of Warburton.

Attempting another swing across the line he spooned a chance to short third man, which was well taken diving forwards by Stenhouse.

Collins was the man who took on the task of accelerating the score, ably assisted by Carmichael, who was caught and bowled by Tynemouth skipper Hay for ten.

Hebburn finished on 222-8 after their 50 overs. Snelders finished with 3-48, Hay 2-58, Storey 2-26 and Brown 1-52.

The Tynemouth reply began well with Brown beginning watchfully as Chris Fairley raced to 23 before he was caught off the bowling of paceman Raj.

Young Ben McGee carefully made his way to 12 before he was adjudged lbw, but Tynemouth looked in a good position at 113-2 with Brown having made his way to 50.

Jordan Hopkin added a quickfire eight with two lusty blows before he too perished leg before to Younger.

A collapse then appeared to be on the cards after Stenhouse departed for a duck and Danny Carr was given out caught behind for two.

Lee Reed joined Brown at the crease and Reed signalled his intent by clubbing his first ball for six. He continued in this vein using his bottom hand to excellent effect and accelerating the score along.

Brown continued to play his natural game, with some booming drives and he passed 100 in the 45th over.

Reed departed trying to force another boundary, however, he had added a valuable 43 in good time in a partnership of 70 for the sixth wicket, leaving Tynemouth on 210 with three overs remaining and four wickets in hand.

This brought visiting skipper Hay to the crease and the nerves started jangling before Brown was run out pushing a quick single having made a workmanlike 108.

This left Tynemouth on 214-7, requiring nine from the last over to win.

After swinging and missing at the first two balls, Hay managed to make a decent connection with the next three, picking up two runs from each after some excellent running from young Macciocchi.

This left a one ball shoot-out, with three needed to secure a win for the visitors.

Hay managed to connect again and grabbed two runs to leave the game tied after 100 overs, both sides scoring 222.

The result gave Hebburn 13 points and Tynemouth 14, leaving both teams tied at the top of the league on 70 points.

Elsewhere, Tynemouth 1st XI secured a five-wicket win over South Shields CC. After bowling the home side out for 153, Tynemouth made 154-5.