Captain Lineham leads by example with bat

WITH Tynemouth’s first team falling foul to last week’s storm, despite groundsman Paul Jackson’s best efforts to have some play at Preston Avenue, it was left to the seconds to bring some sunshine with a positive performance at Blaydon.

On a windy afternoon, Tynemouth skipper Andy Lineham was determined to build on the side’s recent good showings with a captain’s performance.

Blaydon batted first but lost opener Nicholson run out without facing a ball.

Clarke and Baines added a half century partnership against an ineffectual seam attack before the introduction of spin in the form of Ollie McGee and Chris Beever made the break through.

McGee ripped through the middle order with figures of 5-27 off 15 overs.

It was only late order resistance from Lamb (14no), Nicholson (23) and Allison (16no) that saw Blaydon post 180-8 off 49 overs.

Ryan Macciocchi chipped in with 1-15 and Beever finished with 1-44.

The Tynemouth response was delayed by a heavy shower at tea which ruled out the possibility of an outright win, but they could secure a winning draw if they could reach 92 in 25 overs on a rain affected wicket.

Candlish (14), Chad Koen (9) and Tony Lion (2) all went in the pursuit of quick runs but it was left to skipper Lineham to steer a course for his side.

He smashed two sixes off the Blaydon pace attack and seemed well in control when he fell to a caught and bowled for 48 to stain what had otherwise been a fine performance, but by that stage he had already left his mark on the game.

Last week’s hero Ben McGee showed he was equally up to a run chase by playing several exquisite drives to finish 21 not out to steer his side to 126-8 in the 25 overs left in the game to give Tynemouth 12 points and see them climb to fourth place in the table at the half way stage of the season.

The Sunday thirds team then hosted Blaydon thirds at Preston Avenue where the hard work of the groundsman had by now ensured that play was possible.

Stand-in skipper Chris Beever won the toss and batted.

Opening stand between Ollie McGee and Ben McGee of 49 in nine overs got the innings off to a flyer.

Ben McGee fell first for 20 and when Ollie McGee fell for 28 the innings stood at 68-2.

Beever came in and struggled early on.

He saw Mark Packham go for nine, but with Phil Currell continuing to impress the pair started to accelerate.

Beever brought up a well deserved 50 and with the run chase on unselfishly went for his shots only to fall for 74 off 88 balls.

Currell finished 48 not out from 45 balls as Tynemouth made 200-4 off 45 overs.

In reply, Blaydon openers Nichol and Reynolds set about some short pitched bowling from the Tynemouth seam attack.

The pair added 115 and seemed well in control until Beever introduced himself to the attack.

The leg spinner took 6-22 in nine overs to haul his side back into the game, receiving good support from the accurate Currell and Dan Storey.

Two crucial catches were spilt and Blaydon crawled home with three balls to spare for the loss of eight wickets with youngster Oswell finishing 36 not out. Tynemouth took nine points.

On Saturday the first team are at home to Benwell Hill, start at 11.30am, and the seconds are away at Benwell Hill seconds, starting at 1pm.