Consecutive wins lifts Tynemouth up the league

Tynemouth Cricket Club received a much needed boost at the weekend as all their teams enjoyed a victory.

The first team travelled to Gateshead Fell and batted first, declaring their innings on 152-7 with a shortened game threatened.

Skipper Ben Debnam (13) and Graeme Hallam (26) made a good start while other batsmen also made it into double figures – Marcus Turner (17), Matt Brown (25), Ruhan Pretorious (23) and Phil Morse (20).

Tynemouth then dismissed the Fell for only 92 with David Hymers taking 8-42 to destroy their reply. Pretorious and Smith each took a wicket to complete the rout and give the Firsts their second successive win and lift them to ninth place in the Premier table.

The Second Team hosted the Fell in their Division 2A fixture, with the visitors making 148 all out in their innings.

The Tynemouth bowlers performed well with Owen Hollins 5-21 and Tony Lion 3-31 the stand out performers.

There was no mistake in the first phase of Tynemouth’s reply with young Ben McGee opening and scoring a superb 66 not out, supported by Carl Salvidge (18) and Andrew Davison (17).

Some wickets then went down more quickly but Tynemouth won home with two wickets to spare thanks to a late cameo from Hollins with 14 not out. Michael Philips took 5-25 for the visitors.

The Third Team travelled to Ulgham and were put into bat first with opener Chris Fairly hitting 46 before he was out lbw. Simon Ward top scored with 64 while Phil Currell (14), Ed Snelders (12) and Sam Maguire (26) also left their mark on the scoreboard.

But the icing on the cake came from No.11 Max Robertson who hit two sixes and two fours in his 28 not out as Tynemouth finished on 228-9.

The Ulgham reply made slow progress, hindered by wickets falling at regular intervals – although Tynemouth only secured victory five minutes from the 8pm deadline as Ulgham finished on 152-9 from their 50 overs for the visitor’s first win of the season.

Their wicket-takers were Robertson 2-38, Maguire 2-30, and Don Catley 5-18.

The Sunday Third Team got off to a flyer at home to Newcastle Thirds with Andrew Davison (66) and Jamie Coates (62) making 112 for the first wicket. The home side were pegged back and finished on 194-9.

In reply Ross Sinclair (36) and Dominic Smith (47) looked to have the chase under control but once Smith went at 141 it was left to Mark Pearce to hold the innings together.

Despite losing regular partners he took the game to the last ball with a gallant 50 not out only to finish 3 runs short of the Tynemouth total at the end of 45 overs.

Tynemouth took 18 points from the game to Newcastle’s eight and completed a superb weekend for the club’s teams.