Just short

TYNEMOUTH secured a hard fought winning draw against neighbours Newcastle in an exciting encounter at Preston Avenue that both sides had opportunities to win.

Light rain in the morning delayed the start until after lunch, reducing the game to 100 overs with Newcastle captain Niall Penfold winning the toss and putting Tynemouth in to bat.

Ivo Hobson was first out, edging a ball from former Durham Academy seamer Callum Harding for five.

Rory Cox was next in but after moving the score to 38-1 on a wicket that was proving difficult to time the ball, he was out after trying to cut a ball too close to his body, edging a delivery from Harding to Michael Richardson at second slip.

Harding then dismissed Patrick Botha for four, leaving Tynemouth in trouble at 43-3.

Mark Wood joined Ben Debnam and the pair put together an excellent 100-run partnership.

Debnam passed 50 for the second time this season and moved the score to 143 when he top edged a high full toss from Gareth Bateman to wicketkeeper Neil Corby down at fine leg for 70.

Wood got to his first 50 for Tynemouth but was out the next ball from a full toss from Bateman, this time caught on the mid-wicket boundary.

Andrew Smith and Matthew Brown took the score to 184 before the former was out lbw.

Phil Morse and Brown pushed the score to 211-6, allowing Tynemouth to declare. Brown 32 not out at a run a ball and Morse 14 not out from only nine balls.

Newcastle got off to a good start with openers Corby and Davidson timing the ball well on a drying pitch. The pair put on 46 before Davidson was run out by Smith.

South African Michael Richardson came in and together with Corby began to take the game away from Tynemouth.

The score progressed to 80 when Corby spooned an Andrew Smith long hop to square leg for the easiest of catches.

Oli McGee removed Stacey for 18, and at 107-3 Newcastle were still a long way from victory and, with only 15 overs remaining, the rate was above eight an over.

Penfold joined Richardson and the pair put on a quick fire 70 to leave them needing just 45 from the last six overs.

Morse then got the big wicket of Penfold after he mistimed a drive to give a high caught and bowled for a run a ball 41.

Richardson was then joined by Ed Common who was soon back in the pavilion after missing a sweepshot and being bowled by Morse.

Richardson continued to push on and passed 50. He was next man out, ending Newcastle hopes of chasing down the last 40 runs. A mistimed clip off his legs resulted in an excellent diving catch from Anthony Turner off Botha.

Morse took two wickets in the last two overs but Tynemouth ran out of overs to take the final two wickets leaving Newcastle 183-8 giving Tynemouth the winning draw.

Wicket-takers were Andrew Smith (1-46), Patrick Botha (1-48), Phil Morse (4-47) and Oli McGee (1-22).

On Saturday Tynemouth travel to Gateshead Fell.

The second team travelled to Heaton Medicals to play Newcastle seconds in their reverse fixture and batted first.

The innings was initially dominated by scintillating batting from Danny Candlish.

He played some exquisite drives and seemed destined for a well constructed 100 when he fell seven runs short, caught behind off Nick Humble.

Macciocchi held the second half of the innings together with an unbeaten 51, ably supported by Lineham (13) and Lion (26 no) as Tynemouth declared on 238-5.

Macciocchi continued his good match, taking 3-16 to disrupt the middle order. When Finn Lonnberg returned, he blew away the Newcastle tail to finish with 4-33.

Owen Hollins took two wickets and Tony Lion one as the Newcastle side were bowled out for 127 to give Tynemouth 29 points to move them to fifth in the league with a game in hand on the top four.

The Saturday third team, in their new Traditional Masonry sponsored shirts, were at Clara Vale.

Ed Snelders and Max Robertson restricted the openers to 21 off the first ten overs and then Snelders had Rohail Ahmed well caught for 16 by young Ben Cottis.

Two more wickets fell before Rehan and Saqib formed a formidable partnership.

It took a superb pick up and direct hit from Chris Fairley to see off Rehan for 85. Storey then forced Saqib (70) to play on with the ball trickling to the base of the stumps.

The introduction of Nick Brown gave Tynemouth full bonus points as he claimed wicket as Clara were dismissed for 299.

The Tynemouth reply saw Brown (3) and Fairley (11) and Cottis (0) go cheaply.

Ward scored a useful 30 and Storey stood his ground for ten.

Skipper Hay cut loose with a superb display of six-hitting to amass 39 not out as the tail failed to wag.

Tynemouth achieved the first batting point but were out for 108.

A young Sunday third team had a successful home tie to Newcastle, who got off to an explosive start adding 61 for the first wicket in 11 overs.

But wickets fell at regular intervals, leaving Newcastle 189-9 off 45 overs.

Wicket-takers were Phil Currell 3-21, Ryan Macciocchi 3-29, Nick McIntyre 1-40, Lewis Beaumont 1-41 and Sam Maguire 1-31.

In reply, Tynemouth lost Macciocchi early for four.

Ollie McGee and Geoff Simpson then added 59 before Simpson was caught for 11 and McGee for a stylish 51.

Any suggestion of a wobble was dispelled with Finn Lonnberg (43) and Phil Currell (51no) adding 60 in seven overs to see Tynemouth home.

Morpeth Under-11s 216 (+16), Tynemouth Under-11s 209 (+9).

Tynemouth U11s finally got their season up and running when they travelled to Morpeth for a Knock-Out Cup preliminary round match.

A vastly inexperienced Tynemouth side featured four players making their competitive debuts and two players playing in only their second match.

Morpeth added 16 due to some tight bowling and wickets for Charlie Johnson and Sam Byerley.

In reply, the wickets hindered Tynemouth before captain Jamie Wills and Bradley Ord got the innings back on track. Ord top scored with nine.

Needing five off the last over to win, three runs were secured off the first five and going for a single to draw the match, Johnson was narrowly run out.