Kicking display is key to Park’s win

Simon Greatham kicks for goal in Percy Park's win over Malton & Norton.
Simon Greatham kicks for goal in Percy Park's win over Malton & Norton.

SIMON Greatham’s kicking was the difference between the two sides and earned him man of the match, scoring 22 of Percy Park’s 32 points.

The game at Preston Avenue was every bit as close as the game earlier in the season at Malton & Norton, which Percy Park won by three points by virtue of a last minute missed penalty by Teei Piawi.

Indeed the scores in Saturday’s were level at 22-22 as late as the 77th minute, when Greatham kicked his sixth penalty of the game to nudge Park in front.

Before the game there was discussion regarding the playing kit.

Malton’s black, red and white and Park’s black and white shirts seemed a little too close, so they changed to white red and black.

Park made just one change to their starting line-up with George Purdy coming in to the front row for the unavailable Joe Wafer.

Greatham opened his account with a penalty on 12 minutes but Malton hit back with a fine individual try by left wing Tom Newitt, who outpaced the Park defence dancing down the touch line to score.

The conversion by skipper Ian Cooke gave the North Yorkshire team a 7-3 lead.

Park struck back through captain John Scott after a lineout just outside the Malton & Norton 22.

The ball was palmed back in the line and the flat-footed defenders watched as the Park scrum-half burst through and picked up the loose ball and raced to the try line for the score.

The visitors protested to the referee that the ball had been knocked but referee Craig Wrightson was having none of it.

The conversion took Park 13-7 in front before Malton scrum-half Chris Creber scored for his side after diving over a ruck close to the Park line.

The Cooke conversion took his side back in front before Greatham bagged another penalty to give Park a 16-14 lead on half-ime.

In the second half Simon Greatham kicked another penalty before Sam Triffit crossed for Malton to level the game at 19-19.

Greatham and Cooke traded penalties until the Park centre gave his side a vital lead going into the final few minutes with a penalty from wide on the right.

Park were playing into the elements in the second half and the strong wind made kicking for position tough.

Malton chose not to use the tail wind to their favour choosing instead to crash up the ball through their huge midfield partnership.

With three minutes plus injury time remaining the visitors went on the attack but were penalised on half way.

Some back chat gave Park a further ten metres then another ten before Dave Griffiths kicked to the corner to pen Malton on their five-metre line.

Park won the lineout and battered away at the Malton line, before Greg Dixon eventually crossed for the try and Greatham converted in the last play of the game.

With the top four sides all winning, it is as you were with the league placing with Park in fourth spot.

Malton and Norton will rue the fact that they spurned kickable penalty chances on more than one occasion, as they remain in mid table well clear of the relegation zone.

Next week Park 1st XV travel to Abbeydale to take on fifth placed Sheffield.


PARK won emphatically in this rearranged cup quarter-final which had originally been scheduled to take place two weeks ago when the appointed referee did not show up.

Northern opened the scoring with a penalty, but tries from Adam Fidler and Kai Stephenson quickly showed Park’s intent.

Northern had no answer to the expansive Park game and the home side deservedly go through to the semi final which is away to Morpeth Reivers next Saturday.

Park will be hoping for a good showing to make the final in defence of the cup they have won for the two previous seasons.

The Percy Park Penguins are also in cup action next week in the semi-final of the No 5 cup away to Blyth Buccaneers. Park will be hoping to make the final for the second year running.