Park run in seven tries to go to fifth

PERCY Park continued where they left off last week, despite a minor wobble ten minutes before the end of the first half.

Gateshead came into the game with only one league win so far this season, and were soon down 5-0 from an Ashley Smith try five minutes into the game.

Park had turned a Gateshead scrum through 90 degrees and had won a put in, from which Seam Williamson picked up, passed to Ollie Gilmore who set the back line loose to Phil Morse and Smith then surged through a gap in the defence on the right side of the pitch.

Most of the early possession was Park’s and when Gateshead were penalised in their own half for being offside.

From the line-out, Andy Dunn found his man and the maul was set then driven 20 yards to the line, with Greg Dixon touching down.

For the second time, Simon Greatham hit the post with the conversion.

Gateshead found it hard to break Park’s grip on the game, and the home side went further ahead on 28 minutes. Smith found himself in space down the right and looked to switch with wing Howard Stock, but was stopped short of the line. The ball was quickly recycled to Craig Fidler, who offloaded to Joe Wafer to score.

At this stage, the Park players looked relaxed but a little complacency set in which allowed Gateshead to strike back.

Skipper David Tate broke a couple of tackles down the blind side before the burly full back raced over the line to score with fly half Johnny Foster converting.

Bang on half-time, Gateshead struck again with a strong effort by powerful left wing Andy Gray who made light of several would-be tackles to score under the posts.

Park regained their composure in the second half, although their first score was down to quick thinking by Morse who pounced on a ball which had come out of the back of a Gateshead ruck in the Park half.

The rangy Park 10 sped up field and found Smith in support. Park’s full back raced to the line and with players either side of him passed inside to Greatham who crossed the line to score.

Greatham converted for a 24-14 lead and Park had secured a try bonus point in the process.

Club captain John Scott, coming back from injury, upped the tempo with Fidler getting on the scoresheet next.

A long pass to Fidler fell short of the Park lock forward who trapped the ball at his feet before picking up, then feigning to pass left to go through a gap to score Park’s fifth try and Greatham made no mistake with the conversion.

Four minutes later, Park were back on the attack, and some good interplay between Michael Langlands and Andy Dunn gave quick ball to Howard Stock on the right wing to use his pace and score in the corner.

With the game drawing to a close, Morse capped a good display with an individual effort breaking through the visitors defence, then out-sprinting the cover defence to score left of the posts.

This bonus point win moves Park up to fifth in North 1 East, but Gateshead slip to the bottom of the table as a result.

Next week, Park travel to Middlesbrough.

WESTOE II.......................................... 14

PERCY PARK LIONS.............................33

PARK’S 2nd XV won their third consecutive away game in Candy League 1 with a strong second half performance.

At half time the game was tied 14-14, but 19 unanswered second half points gave Park the win to the delight of coaches Carr and Jobson, who are very pleased with the performance of their young charges.

The Lions are at home at Preston Avenue on Saturday to Middlesbrough II.

NORTHERN III........................................0

PERCY PARK PUMAS............................69

THE Pumas maintained their 100 per cent record for the season so far with this emphatic win over Northern at McCracken Park.

Next Saturday the Pumas are on the road again, but just across the water at Westoe.

BLAYDON BRICKS ...............................17

PERCY PARK MARAUDERS ..................14

A WEAKENED Marauders XV lost narrowly to Blaydon in a close contest. The Bricks pack was just a little too strong.

for Park’s IV XV.