Park’s loss of form sees them slip down league

Paul Spowart kicks a penalty for Percy Park in their defeat to Dinnington. Picture by Stu Robertson.
Paul Spowart kicks a penalty for Percy Park in their defeat to Dinnington. Picture by Stu Robertson.

Three late tries by Dinnington put the gloss on their win over Percy Park in a game where the hosts were on top from the first minute.

From the kick off Park were in front of the kicker, and oddly the referee gave the home side a penalty on half way rather than a scrum, and they capitalised kicking to the corner to set up a catch and drive.

Park conceded a penalty for collapsing the maul and a quick tap saw Will Marshall crash over for a try inside two minutes, with full back Chris Williams converting.

The visitors shook off the early score and came back with a good ten minute spell which Dinnington defended well until 24 minutes when Marshall scored his second at the back of a maul which was driven over the line.

Percy Park struck back on the half hour as Josh Hedley used his giant frame to good effect powering over the line for the try.

Several players dived on top of him in the act of scoring and a melee ensued with Harry Watson being shown a yellow for Park although punches seemed to be thrown from both sides none of the Dinnington players were spoken too and to add insult to injury the home side were awarded a penalty from the restart.

On the stroke of half time Chris Williams went over for an unconverted try for Dinnington and they led 17-5.

The first ten minutes of the second half were fairly even. Park were awarded a rare penalty which was converted by Paul Spowart making his league debut.

Three minutes later Dinnington hit back as Park failed to find touch from a penalty in their own half. The ball was run back through a crowd of Park players before Tyle Stimpson crossed the line for the try which was converted by Williams.

Park were still not out of the game and several surging runs by Ash Smith kept the defence on their toes. Eventually Michael Grove finished off a good move with a pass by Spowart putting the young full back away. He side-stepped one player, outpaced another then burst through the final tackle to go over in the corner to bring the score up to 27-13.

With ten minutes remaining Dinnington were awarded a penalty which they kicked.

Park had another decent period of possession with the forwards driving on. With Park on the attack inside the Dinno 22, Smith tried a long pass which was intercepted by Farris who raced 50 yards before passing to Steve Thompson in support for the try.

With time almost up salt was rubbed into Park wounds with an 83rd minute try by Rob Leivars. The Dinnington wing kicked ahead and the ball seemed to be covered by the Park defence, but Michael Grove lost his footing as he went to retrieve the ball and it was retrieved by Leivars who went over the line unopposed to score, the final conversion by Williams gave Dinnington the win 44-13.

Next Saturday Park play a re-arranged game at Preston Avenue against Bradford & Bingley, and it is hoped the team can find some of their lost form to stem the flow of defeats which has seen them slip down the league from the play off spot to fourth place.