Percy Main seconds clinch promotion as firsts’ poor form continues

There was mixed feelings in the Percy Main Cricket Club camp at the weekend.

After having topped the table all season, yet despite a couple of recent blips, the second team finally wrapped up promotion to B1 of the Northumberland and Tyneside Senior League with a comprehensive victory over basement side Morpeth.

However, the first team suffered a nine-wicket defeat to lowly Alnmouth and Lesbury as their recent poor form continues.

After losing the toss, skipper Mark Armstrong saw his side inserted into bat at the picturesque ground of Alnmouth and Lesbury.

Percy Main were missing Andrew Green who was still injured, but the presence of Richie Walker in the side was a bonus.

In recent weeks, Percy Main have struggled with the bat and have collapsed against Ashington, Consett and Leadgate and suffered successive defeats.

They struggled again on Saturday and the loss of Stewart, Anderson and Reid early on made their work even harder.

In fact only Michael Phillips made a meaningful contribution with 41. A useful cameo of 21 by skipper Armstrong helped Main post 163, however, it was always below par.

In reply Alnmouth defied their lowly league position by knocking of the runs for the loss of one wicket as only Stewart claimed a scalp.

This defeat left Main still requiring 17 points to ensure survival from their two remaining games.

At St John’s Terrace, a youthful second team entertained Morpeth, knowing that 13 points would secure promotion.

Stand-in Skipper Steve Peart asked Morpeth to bat on a green looking wicket and his bowlers, led by Blyth Duncan junior, bowled with good discipline which resulted in Morpeth being dismissed for 134.

Duncan and James Peart took three wickets with the rest being shared out.

The main plus point was seeing juniors Sam Byerley, Josh du Plessis, Dan McGee, James Peart and Laurie Robson all on the field together and playing with skill, enthusiasm and endeavour to show the junior section is flourishing again.

In reply, Main made light work of scoring the runs as Phil Warwick bludgeoned a quickfire 50 and Steve Peart with a similarly destructive 30 not out as they reached their target in 17 overs.