Percy Main seconds too strong for Ryton

Percy Main’s second team saw off the wet weather and opposition in their game against Ryton at St John’s Green.

Barry Errington lost the toss and was asked to bat in overcast conditions. The decision by Ryton appeared to be a questionable one as openers Tony Robson and Phil Warwick played an array of strokes around the ground.

The partnership was ended at 92 when Warwick was bowled by Brian Coxon for 48. His rapid fire innings lasted 52 balls and contained eight fours and one six.

Paddy Rathbone joined Robson as the opener brought up his half century from just 49 balls.

But he was out just six balls later, bowled by Joe Grey for 61. His knock lasted just 55 balls and contained six fours and one six. This left Percy Main 122-2 after 21 overs.

Steve Peart was out for an entertaining 31. Barry Errington batting at number five was out for 34 from just 36 balls and Andy Beer was dismissed for five in the 38th over, before Errington departed in the 41st.

The Main innings ended like it began. Laurie Robson and Steven Patterson added an unbeaten 48 for the seventh wicket from the last 26 balls. Patterson only faced nine deliveries but finished 19 not out - the last three were hit for 16.

Percy Main’s innings ended on 266-6 after 45 overs.

Percy Main made a great start to Ryton’s as Josh Du Plessis struck in the third over. He had Milton caught by Paddy Rathbone for a duck. Du Plessi took 1-5 from his 5 overs. James Crowe struck seven overs later having Phillip Butler caught by Steve Peart for 13. Crowe’s allocation of ten overs yielded 1-45

Apart from a stand of 45 for the third wicket, which was ended by Patterson, who took 1-31, Percy Main bowled tightly and did not allow Ryton to get back into the game.

Wickets fell at regular intervals as Dan McGee and Paddy Rathbone removed the middle and lower order. McGee finished with 4-21 and Rathbone took 3-19.

The resulting rush of wickets meant Ryton were dismissed for 131 in 33.1 overs as Percy Main won by 135 runs.