Percy Park still in relegation zone after draw with Morley

Percy Park's George Purdy in action against Morley. Picture by Paul Jackson.
Percy Park's George Purdy in action against Morley. Picture by Paul Jackson.

With Percy Park lying in the third relegation spot it was essential that points be taken from their game with Morley.

And in the end both side gained two points each for a well fought out 15-15 draw.

Park kicked off with a gale force wind at their backs, although the elements proved to be anything but an advantage making handling difficult with the wind and kicking very much a lottery.

The home side opened their account after a bright start when Todd Harrison kicked a penalty in front of the posts on ten minutes.

Constant early pressure gave Park just reward when skipper Michael Langlands powered over for a try on 13 minutes although the score remained unconverted.

Both sides showed grim determination and when a fracas broke out in the Park half involving several players, it was the Morley centre who was shown a yellow which could easily have been a red with him running several yards to join the melee and throwing a series of punches.

Morley defended well and looked dangerous on the counter attack. It was from one such move that full back Jack Moon scored for the visitors bang on half time.

A break out on the right hand flank was halted, but a superb one handed off-load put Moon in space to race 30 yards for the try in the corner. A last ditch tackle from a distance looked to have held him up, but the referee was right on the spot to award the try, so at the interval Park led 8-5.

Percy Park soaked up a good deal of Morley pressure early in the second half until the Yorkshire side bundled over for a forwards try on 62 minutes with the conversion from Mark Chester giving his side a 12- 8 lead.

Signs looked ominous for Park who were unable to kick out of defence and had to run against the strong wind to gain any ground.

The home side dug deep and found the resolve to go over the line for a try on 68 minutes when replacement scrum half Connor Tubman burrowed over in his league debut. Harrison’s conversion meant Park were 15-12 in front.

Despite having a strong wind behind them, Morley could not capitalise and twice a kick out of defence ran dead at the opposite end of the field giving Park a scrum back deep in the visitors 22.

With 74 minutes gone Morley were awarded a penalty on the Park 10 metre line straight in front of the posts, which Mark Chester kicked to take his side level.

With only six minutes remaining Percy Park threw everything at Morley but they were able to hold out and Park had to settle for two points with still keeps them in the relegation zone.

Next week Park have another home tie this time against Rossendale.

Whilst Park’s 1st XV were playing a re-schedule league game, the Lions, Pumas and Penguins were all in cup semi-final action, and all three sides won to progress to their respective finals.

The Lions travelled to Druid Park to take on Gosforth II and won 36-14.

The Lions will meet Alnwick II in the final on March 29.

This is the fifth consecutive year Percy Park Lions have made the final of the No. 2 Cup.

The Pumas, currently top the Northumberland River Aln league, are looking for a cup and league double as they progressed to the final with a 47-10 victory over Alnwick Lions.

The Pumas will meet Novos II in their final on April 12.

The Penguins were the other Park senior side in action and they scraped through with a 15-13 win against Ponteland Pythons.

The Penguins will meet either Novos Centurions or Tynedale Vets in the 5th XV cup final on March 29.