Rain stops Tynemouth from claiming commanding win

Tynemouth Cricket Club hosted struggling club Gateshead Fell on Saturday and were only denied a convincing win by heavy rain.

Openers Ben Debnam and Marcus Turner put on 78 for the first wicket before Debnam was caught for 26 and Turner fell two runs later for 39.

Richie Straughan (22), Sam Robson (21) and former skipper Graeme Hallam controlled the remainder of the innings with 45 not out. Tynemouth, with one eye on the weather, declared at 205-8 in the 52nd over.

For the Fell, Andrew Porter had impressed with 5-51 and Jaspreet Singh with 3-53.

The Tynemouth bowling attack of David Hymers and Finn Lonnberg then devastated the Fell batting line up.

Wickets fell like dominoes as Hymers claimed five wickets for five runs in five overs and Lonnberg another two for nine runs in 4.5 overs.

Together with a run out, Fell were 14-8 before the heavens opened and the game was abandoned, much to the extreme frustrations of the Tynemouth team and their sheltering supporters.

Tynemouth received only 12 points for the game and Fell were awarded nine.

The second team also found themselves in a strong position when their game was abandoned at the Fell. Rain hit Gateshead at an earlier stage to the game at Tynemouth.

Batting first, Tynemouth recorded 244-5 when they declared after 46 overs. Ben McGee (8) had fallen early but James Stanistreet (34), Greg Hollins (81) and Chris Fairley (43) took the score on before skipper Chris Beever rattled off 38 runs from only 21.

From this commanding position, the game was abandoned without the Fell innings even beginning.

The third team hosted Ulgham in an important bottom of the table battle. Ulgham batted first and scored slowly. Number three batsman Darrell Campbell was in for almost the duration to score 65 before being the seventh wicket for Tynemouth.

Richie Hay was back to skipper the team and took 3-34. Russell Perry snapped up 2-31 and there were wickets for Chad Koen 1-37 and Dan Storey 1-28.

Finally posting a reasonable final score of 193-7 off a game reduced to 45 overs, Ulgham set their hosts an interesting target.

In reply, Tynemouth’s openers Ben Newman and Jack Byerley started intelligently and built a score of 24 before Newman was lbw for 14.

Koen then came in and took control of the game. Together with Byerley, the pair raised the stakes to 75 before Byerley was out for a commendable 34 with the score on 94.

Simon Ward was next man in and gelled well with Koen to take the score on to 140 off 30 overs with Tynemouth by now firm favourites.

By the 42nd over the eight wickets win was in the bag with Koen on 81 not out and Ward 51 not out. Ulgham had been condemned to the relegation slot vacated by Tynemouth who rise three places up the table to current safe havens thanks to 28 well-earned points.