Seconds get their season under way with victory

AFTER two weeks of washed out games the Monkseaton bandwagon finally got going – but only just.

Unfortunately the first team’s game was called off against Bomarsund due to a waterlogged outfield, as was the third team’s game against New Hartley with the opposition unfortunately unable to field a second team.

It was left Monkseaton’s second team to begin the season at home against the Ulglham second team.

That this game was able to go ahead was due to the magnificent efforts of head groundsman Richard Parkinson and his cohort Terry Lee.

Skipper Eric Thompson won the toss and inserted the opposition.

Monkseaton welcomed back Gary Errington after a two-year absence and he then proceeded to show what a miss he has been.

Bowling superbly with prodigious swing he removed three of the upper order.

John Hewett bowled well from the other end but to no avail.

The skipper made a double change, bringing on Barry Cliffe and John Bishop, the former taking two wickets and the latter removing the dangerous opener Skinner, who had made 27.

The skipper then rang the changes once more giving newcomer Rob Clark a bowl and bringing on club stalwart and secretary Tony Errington from the playground end.

In two overs he produced a marvellous spell to match his brother’s three wickets, removing the tail to take three wickets for no runs.

Ulglham finished 58 all out.

Things were never going to be easy for Monkseaton when they batted because the wicket was still very wet.

Openers Bob Zanetti and Mark Tunstall dug in and put on 30 when Bob Zanetti was caught going for a big hit.

Mark Tunstall then lost two partners before being bowled himself by a ball that virtually rolled along the ground.

The game was won fittingly by Richard Parkinson ably partnered by Jonny Coultas with a shot through mid-wicket.

This weekend the first team entertain Kirkley whilst the seconds are away to Kirkley seconds and the third team are at home to Hebburn.