Shock win in cup for Tynemouth XI

editorial image

TYNEMOUTH secured their first cup final place of the year with a shock win over high flying Blaydon in the Banks Salver semi-final.

It continues good cup form, which has seen them progress in the Smithson County Cup and Justsport Trophies.

Tynemouth batted first and openers Richie Straughan (28) and Nick Armstrong (15) added 47 for the first wicket.

Armstrong’s dismissal saw Matthew Brown come to the wicket.

His free flowing 79 off 80 balls with six fours and two sixes was the mainstay of the innings, which also saw useful contributions from Patrick Botha (25), Andrew Smith (16), Chad Koen (16) and Sam Robson (23).

Blaydon’s strong batting line-up would have fancied their chances at the half way stage but Tynemouth’s young attack had other ideas. Home stalwart Allan Worthy was first to go, caught by Josh Koen off David Hymers for two.

Then Hymers struck again removing Cole McConchie to reduce Blaydon to 6-2.

When Feary became Hymers’ third wicket hope was rising in the Tynemouth camp.

Former Durham player Graeme Bridge and Geoff Stewart started to rebuild the Blaydon innings until, with 74 on the board, Matthew Brown stumped Bridge off Patrick Botha for 19.

Peter Howells then became the first of Ollie McGee’s three victims, caught by Sam Robson for 36.

Andrew Smith then removed Ross Nicholson and Josh Koen accounted for Chris Varley to see the home side teetering at 157-7.

Miller was then run out for three, and when Martin Pollard went caught behind by Brown off McGee, it only left Geoff Stewart 48 not out with the last man Craig Simpson.

McGee then clinched victory, having Stewart caught by Nick Armstrong for 51 as the favourites were dismissed for a total of 175.

Hymers took 3-34 and McGee 3-28.

The win was an ideal tonic after Saturday’s disappointment in the Premier League as the young professionals of Durham Academy gave Tynemouth an object lesson with a convincing eight-wicket win.

Tynemouth skipper Ben Debnam won the toss and elected to bat but soon found himself back in the pavilion as he was adjudged to have snicked a ball off James Weighell for 1. Matthew Brown followed him in the same over to leave Tynemouth 6-2.

Worse was to follow when Patrick Botha was bowled for 6 by Weighell, the Durham paceman taking his forth wicket when he had Andrew Smith caught for 1 with Tynemouth 22-4.

Richie Straughan and Nick Armstrong battled to 33 when three wickets went down for the addition of one run. Straughan went for 17, Anthony Turner lbw without scoring and Armstrong lbw to Grant Nicholson for seven.

With the innings in tatters, Sam Robson and Phil Morse launched a counter-attack, adding 40 for the eighth wicket before Morse was bowled by Ireland for 13.

Hymers was then lbw to Ireland for three and Robson’s brave innings (35) ended with the last dismissal at 91.

In reply, Academy openers Jack and Graeme Clark added 37 before the latter went for 26, caught behind off Smith. Smith struck again to remove Pearce for one.

After that Clark (36 no) and Thompson (26 no) ground out a victory, leaving Tynemouth with a solitary point for their efforts.

Tynemouth now visit table toppers Sunderland on Saturday.

The third team were at home to Stobswood on Sunday and skipper Richie Hay decided to make first use of a good batting track. Openers Vince Howe and Andrew Davison took the score on to 81 before Davison was unlucky to play on when on 50.

Howe (30), Jack Byerley (24), Chris Fairley (36), Tony Lion (18), Owen Bailey (10), Hay (23) and Sean Longstaff (15) helped Tynemouth reach an impressive 228-9.

The Stobswood reply started slowly against the pace of Dan Storey and Longstaff before Storey had K Watson caught by Davison for 16.

Hay claimed two wickets, then at 50-3 Don Catley bowled the threatening Townsley for only five.

Lion ran out R Watson and then Catley trapped Colam for a duck before having I Watson caught in the deep by Fairley for 37 to finish with 3-17.

Owen Bailey took 1-14, Hay 2-23 and Storey 2-22 as Stobswood folded on 127-9 at the 50 overs mark as Tynemouth’s 29 points lifted them above Stobswood in the table.

Tynemouth Under-15s reached the national semi-finals of the ECB Cup with a convincing 71-run win over Durham champions Hetton Lyons.

Tynemouth skipper Finn Lonnberg got his side off to a flyer by smashing 33 in only seven overs, ably supported by Ben McGee.

Lonnberg’s dismissal brought Ollie McGee to the crease.

Ben McGee hit three huge sixes onto the pavilion roof and five fours as he stroked his way to 55 when he had to retire under competition rules.

Ollie McGee made a quick-fire 22 and with Sean Longstaff (9), Owen Bailey (15 no), Ben Cottis (6) and Nick McIntyre (10 no) helped Tynemouth finish on a massive 175-6 off their 20 overs.

Hetton lost an early wicket when Burnham was run out by Lonnberg for four.

Lonnberg was also soon amongst the wickets as he bowled Dawson and Russell to finish with 2-15.

Danger man Coughlan was then caught by Lonnberg off Longstaff and Whitehead then bowled by Oliver McGee.

Grimmond and Spencer started a fight back before Lewis Beaumont began a spell of devastating swing bowling.

He had Grimmond (26) caught by Longstaff then Spencer (22) caught behind by Ben Cottis.

Wilson was bowled for 17, Armstrong caught and bowled first ball and last man Moore was no match as he was clean bowled to leave Beaumont with a rare five-wicket haul, conceding only 21 runs.

Tynemouth are now through to the semi-finals in York.

Northumberland champions, Tynemouth Under-13s, lost to Scottish shampions Grange in the MCC Spirit of Cricket regional cup final.

Grange scored 107-1 while Tynemouth could only manage 73-6 in reply.

Longstaff claimed the only wicket for the Tynemouth lads as they fielded first on the 22-yard artificial wicket in the middle of a seven-a-side football pitch.

Under 11s – Percy Main 222 (+22), Tynemouth 233 (+33)

Tynemouth fielded a strong team for the short trip to Percy Main looking to get back to winning ways following the disappointing defeat at Stocksfield the previous week.

Jamie Wills, Harvey Malton and Dan McGee took the wickets while tight bowling restricted Percy Main to 22.

Finn Hodgson top scored with 17 and Wills (16) as they helped Tynemouth to victory, with final pair McGee and Sam Byerley adding the necessary runs.