Surprise win over league leaders for Tynemouth

TYNEMOUTH secured only their second win of the season with a surprise victory over league leaders Sunderland at the weekend.

The first team travelled to Sunderland and bowled first, ripping through the host’s strong batting line-up with Mark Wood (3-22) and David Hymers (3-17) doing the most damage.

M Turns top scored with 18 but was run out as Sunderland only made 72.

Stand-in skipper Andrew Smith 1-11 and Patrick Botha 2-6 were the other wicket takers.

The Tynemouth reply also had its nervous moments as six wickets went down.

Richie Straughan (11) and Nick Armstrong (10), followed by Matthew Brown (11) made a reasonable start with such a small target.

However, it took the surety of Botha’s 14 not out and and an unbeaten 17 from Morse to see Tynemouth home and claim a valuable 22 points.

The second team hosted Sunderland in the reverse fixture but threw away a chance to close the gap on the league leaders.

Sunderland batted first and found the pace attack of Finn Lonnberg and Owen Hollins a real handful, the former taking two early wickets before Hollins had Nunn caught at slip by Tony Lion for 18.

Chris Beever bowled Tansy for a duck, Lion claimed the wicket of Stephen Brown for 40, Hollins had Cooney caught for 24 before Chris Brown (31) and Simon Brown (32) added valuable runs for the visitors who declared on 196-8 off 49 overs.

Hollins finished with 3-54 and Lonnberg 2-43, with one wicket each for Beever, Perry and Lion.

In reply Tynemouth lost Ben McGee for four.

But Dan Candlish and Andrew Davison soon dispelled any early concerns with a century partnership and the game seemed well in control when Davison chipped a catch to mid-wicket on 49.

But then a collapse ensued with Lineham (3), Turner run out (0), Lion (11), Beever (1) and Hayward (0) reducing the Tynemouth side to 134-7.

Russell Perry and Candlish arrested the slump by adding 40 for the eighth wicket, but when Candlish went caught at slip for 60, the tail offered no resistance with Hollins and Lonnberg both being bowled by Sanderson first ball to give the medium pacer a hat-trick and see his side retain top spot. Perry finished 25 not out.

The third team cruised to a third successive win over Monkseaton Saints at Preston Avenue.

A series of partnerships saw Monkseaton post 179-9 with the wickets being taken by Chris Fairley (2-47), Dan Storey (2-27), Don Catley (3-36) with two run outs.

The Tynemouth reply began cautiously and Vince Howe was caught behind off a fairly wide ball for five.

Nick Brown continued with his solid style but the arrival of Marcus Turner to the crease changed the character of the innings immediately.

From 13-1 the total rose to 124-2 when Brown was dismissed for 24.

Turner had peppered the boundary and went on to score 128 not out with 17 fours and four huge sixes.

Mark Packham looked confident for his nine and it was Ian Stewart who sealed the victory with an unbeaten six, which included the final boundary.

Tynemouth were home by seven wickets in the 35th over to claim 29 points. They now rise above Monkseaton (five points) in the division one table.

Tynemouth Under-13s had to switch the venue of their match against Alnmouth due to the under-15s playing a cup final against Hetton Lyons in the ECB Knockout Cup.

They also had to include five under-12 and five under-11 players against a strong side.

Tynemouth batted first on a warm but breezy morning.

Matty Longstaff and Cass put on 53 for the opening partnership.

Wickets fell at regular intervals as Tynemouth aimed for three figures.

Longstaff had to retire on 32 not out as they made 83-5.

In the Alnmouth reply, strike bowlers Longstaff and Macdonald started well, containing the opening batsmen to just five runs off the first four overs.

However, a period of wayward bowling followed, resulting in 29 extras.

Elder retired on 30 not out and Tudor 12 not out as Lewis Smith claimed his side’s only wicket.

Under-11s: Tynemouth 338 (+138), Blue Flames 205 (+5)

Blue Flames were the visitors to Preston Avenue for the final scheduled league game of the season for the under-11s.

The Tynemouth team, buoyed by their success in the NEPL semi-final, were looking to end the league season on a high.

The hosts won the toss and fielded first, claiming wickets at regular intervals alongside tight bowling as Blue Flames only made five.

Wickets were taken by Jamie Wills (1-10), Harvey Malton (1-10), Dan McGee (2-1), Adam Williams (1-3) while both Ben Chater’s overs were maidens.

McGee then top scored with 54 in only four overs, including ten fours and a six; Wills hit 29, Will Kerr 13, Malton eight, Chater nine, Adam Williams four, Charlie Johnson 15 and Adam Harvey 14.

At the weekend, Tynemouth firsts are away to Newcastle, start at 11.30am, while the seconds are at home to Newcastle, 1pm start.

Summer camps at Tynemouth still have places available in August for juniors aged five to 13. For further information contact club development manager Rebecca Ayton on 07817 640189.