Tail frustrate to help Tynemouth secure a draw

Tynemouth First Team hosted Durham Academy and elected to field first on a very blustery day.

The Academicals batted through for 246-6, declaring after 58 overs. Openers Jack Burnham (78) and John Boyle (106) with plenty of boundaries piled on 117 for the first wicket.

Burnham was smartly stumped by Matt Brown off Tahir Khan. Boyle was the last of the six wickets to fall, caught by David Hymers off the bowling of Finn Lonnberg as the other batsmen played a supporting role.

Lonnberg and Khan each claimed two wickets.

Skipper Ben Debnam was again in the runs, making 59 as opener but losing Brown for only 5 and Marcus Turner for a disappointing 2.

Gavin Main was their captor, later also taking out Debnam to record 3-50. Khan continues to impress and he made 47 batting at number 5 to give the innings some direction but wickets fell steadily.

At 149-8 it was not looking good for Tynemouth but Ryan Macciocchi (11) and especially Lonnberg dug in and frustrated Durham. The ninth wicket fell at 192 with plenty of overs remaining but Hymers (2 not out) joined Lonnberg (37 not out) and the pair survived to the end of the full 62 overs.

This denied the Academy victory and Tynemouth gained 9 points from the game to Durham’s 16 but remain third bottom in the table with just one victory from eight games.

The Third Team, playing at home in the Northumberland League first division, hosted Cramlington.

Refreshed from their seven wickets mid-week victory over Monkseaton in the Tom Barlow Cup, Tynemouth were asked to field first and Cramlington’s openers Dan Younger (43) and Dave Craddock (31) put on 90 for the first wicket as the pace bowlers struggled to do any damage.

A change was called for and Don Catley and Sam Robson certainly obliged. For a period of 12 overs only 12 runs were scored as Cramlington were squeezed with a tight field operating.

Catley trapped Younger and claimed a tidy 2-29 with Robson in the starring role taking 5-37 with this pair bowling unchanged. Cramlington were dismissed for 159 in the 35th over when Hay returned to take two wickets in succession.

The Tynemouth reply received shock treatment from the keen Cramlington bowlers Brian Walker and Ben Cuthbertson and their lively supporting cast.

With the persistent wind still whistling in the ears, four wickets fell with only 15 runs on the board. Dave Mahan started a stabilising effort with a valuable 14 but fell at 46-5.

Robson and Hay then took on the full repair job and batted together superbly. Hay fell for 40 at 141-6 with the job not quite done but Simon Ward (6 not out) shielded the tail as Robson (83 not out) completed the win.

A first league victory of the season, by 4 wickets in the 36th over, keeps Tynemouth in touch with other teams at the base of the division.