Trophy win helps overshadow defeats

Tynemouth CC’s First Team came through a busy few days with mixed fortunes.

In the NEPL fixture on Saturday they hosted Benwell Hill, who won the toss, batted first and posted 205-7 off 65 overs.

Tynemouth were dismissed for a disappointing 155 in the 54th over.

Last Thursday the Firsts posted 148-6 in their 20 overs against Sacriston in the Charity Bowl. Phil Morse top scored with 41 and Marcus Turner scored 29.

The hosts then won by 9 wickets in only 15.1 overs thanks to a power display by Syed Ali 59 not out and Ian Jones 62. This defeat denied Tynemouth a place in the Final on Friday at Benwell Hill.

However, on Sunday the Firsts won the Smithson Trophy by defeating Ashington, also at Benwell Hill. There were runs for Matt Brown (50) and Nick Armstrong (85) in a six wickets victory.

The Second Team travelled to Benwell Hill and were asked to field when skipper Andy Lineham lost the toss. Runs came steadily for the Hill as they made 221-7 off 52 overs with Josh Koen taking 2-31 and Chris Miller 3-40.

Tynemouth started well with openers Tony Lion and Graeme Hallam putting on 38 before Hallam was bowled for 30. Lion was out caught for 17 with the score on 95.

However, wickets then tumbled as Tynemouth slumped to 102-5. A rally from Andrew Davison (26) and Sam Robson (46) saw the score move on well but the loss of Davison at 167-6 followed by two more quick wickets reduced Tynemouth to 176-8.

There was hope when David Hayward hit 16 not out and Finn Lonnberg 10 not out but this just denied Hill their win and Tynemouth ended short of their target on 203-8 off 52 overs. Hill secured a higher scoring draw.

The Third Team in the Northumberland League travelled to Hebburn on Sunday and were asked to field first on a good batting track.

After stuttering to 83-4 before a rain interruption, Hebburn’s batsmen got on top of the bowlers and eventually posted 210-7 with Taylor 67 not out. Bowling figures for Tynemouth were Storey 2-52, Snelders 1-31, Carr 2-37 and Richardson 1-48.

In reply, Tynemouth made it to 58-3 in the 19th over and accelerated the scoring to make it an even contest at 109-4 after 30 overs.

Carr and Koen took the score to 170 in the next ten overs before Carr fell for 46 and Koen for 65.

Going into the last over they needed ten to win, then four off the last over but Storey could only get two and Tynemouth lost by one run and were left to rue the extras they gave away.

The NEPL Third team travelled to Hetton Lyons and posted 179-8 which was overhauled by the Lyons with only one wicket remaining.