Tynemouth in tie

Dan Storey, who took three wickets for 13 runs for Tynemouth third team against St Georges Rovers at the weekend.
Dan Storey, who took three wickets for 13 runs for Tynemouth third team against St Georges Rovers at the weekend.

TYNEMOUTH first team entertained Sunderland at Preston Avenue at the weekend.

The visitors batted first with Joe Coyne and Daniel Shurburn making a good steady start against the attack of David Hymers and Josh Koen.

It was the introduction of the spin of young Ollie McGee that broke through when he bowled Coyne for 15.

Shurben went on to make 76 as wickets fell at intervals at the other end.

Tynemouth did a good restraining job in the field and Rameez Shahzad had another excellent day with the ball.

He took 6-56 as Sunderland were reduced to 210-9 with McGee finishing with 2-72 from his major supporting effort, and there was a wicket for stand-in skipper Ross Burdon, 1-15, and two stumpings by the alert Greg Hollins.

The Tynemouth reply was based around a superb 107 not out by Shahzad.

Opener Matt Brown made 30 and Nick Armstrong and Greg Hollins 18 each, but Shahzad had to shield the rest of the team who struggled to combat 5-72 from A Thorpe and 3-82 from J Singh.

The end was tense as Tynemouth chased the runs and levelled the scores, only to see McGee as last man caught by Hooker off fifth bowler Coyne and a tie the result.

Tynemouth took a creditable 15 points from the game to consolidate their lower mid-table position.

With Tyne and Wear passions running high, the second XI bravely ventured south to the Ashbrooke Sports Club to play the reverse fixture with Sunderland.

With a full house within the pavilion (who were all watching the football of course) stand-in skipper Ian Stewart won the toss and invited ther hosts to bat.

Finn Lonneburg (1-46) and Owen Hollins (4-38) were given the new ball and deserved more success for their efforts as both Sunderland openers edged their way through an opening stand.

James Carr (2-35) replaced Finn and groundhog day continued until finally, with five slips in place, keeper Euan Stenhouse caught Nunn for 22.

Ryan Macciocchi came on to bowl his 15 overs and was partnered at the other end in rotation by Lonneburg, Hollins and Carr, and collectively they managed to put the brakes on Sunderland.

Despite a period of charitable fielding, Sunderland collapsed from 102-1 to 116-7.

Unfortunately a tail of the experienced Brown and Ferguson did get the hosts to 202-8.

Candlish and Richardson began the Tynemouth reply with great gusto and put them in a strong position until Richardson on 40 finally fell to what some said was his seventh chance.

There was then a slight wobble with Candlish on 29 yorking himself and Stewart (11) saving the umpire the job by walking for an LBW.

Tony Lion (35) and Sam Robson (67 not out), making up for his below bar bowling display, well and truly steadied the ship with a stunning array of shots which had the now far more empty pavilion applauding.

With the finishing line in sight, Sunderland fought back, getting both the veteran Lion and Stenhouse (4) caught, however, Shaun Longstaff (13 not out) finished the job.

Cometh the hour, cometh the boy, who along with Robson saw Tynemouth home by hitting the pacey Ferguson for the winning runs.

This impressive victory raised Tynemouth into fourth place and dented Sunderland’s title aspirations.

Tynemouth’s third team thought they had a chance to recover lost ground in division two of the Northumberland League against St Georges Rovers after several weeks of inactivity.

Skipper Richie Hay won another toss and confidently inserted Rovers on a suspicious pitch at Heaton.

Tynemouth got off to a terrific start and had their hosts 10-3 with accurate bowling from Hay and Ed Snelders.

Snelders bowled Rovers skipper Fixter for three, Don Catley took a good catch for Hay and Snelders induced a sharp catch from keeper Fairley.

Rovers progressed really slowly with only 26 runs coming off 12 overs.

However, J Qureshi (35) and R Maher (28) took the score on to 75 before Dan Storey bowled Qureshi as Catley increased the banter level too good effect.

In the same over Storey took yet another wicket, caught by Hay, and Rovers were in deeper trouble at 75-5.

Waheed was bowled by Max Robertson for one and Cusson also for one.

However, Richie Munro and renegade Ian Pratt resisted well against the third pairing of Catley and Stephen Harrison.

The score moved painfully on to more than 100 before Hay returned to take out Munro and Snelders then had Pratt caught at last by Mike McIntyre.

Rovers were all out for 114 in 42 overs.

Tynemouth bowling figures were Snelders 3-24, Hay 2-25, Robertson 2-28, Storey 3-13, Stephen Harrison 0-9 and Catley 0-12.

Tynemouth knew they were short of batting power following the late promotion and withdrawal of much of their chosen line-up.

Skipper Hay elected to open with Lee Reed but number three bat Fairley was the main hope and only fully recognised batsman.

He made 31 off 59 balls before being bowled by the change bowler Mack - no one else made double figures.

Tynemouth were out for a paltry 69 by the 27th over.

Pratt claimed 5-27 and Mack 4-10 in this demise with Harrison resisting the longest for his eight off 39 balls.

This was a disappointing outcome for Tynemouth who remain third in the table.

On Saturday the first team are at Newcastle in the NEPL division one with an 11am start; the seconds are at home to 2nd v Newcastle in the NEPL division two with a 12.30pm start.

On Sunday the thirds are at home to Sunderland in the NEPL division three with a 1.30pm start; and the NCL thirds are at home to New Hartley with a 1pm start.

On Monday, the firsts are away to Hetton Lyons in the NEPL division one with a 11am start; and the seconds are at home to Hetton Lyons in the NEPL division two with a 12.30pm start.