Tynemouth pair set new record stand

editorial image

TYNEMOUTH were away to Hetton Lyons as cricket made a welcome return on Saturday.

Hetton were inserted with Shaun Birbeck and Jarvis Clay scoring steadily against the pace attack of David Hymers and Andrew Smith.

The introduction of Patrick Botha saw two wickets go down before Birbeck was caught for 67 by keeper Euan Stenhouse off Botha with the score on 134.

Spin was order of the day as wickets then fell at regular intervals. Ollie McGee claimed 2-33 and Phil Morse 3-53 to dismiss Hetton for 217.

Tynemouth sensed a much needed win but it was not to be. A poor batting performance was a let down after the good work in the field.

Only four batsmen made double figures: skipper Ben Debnam (10), Dan Candlish (12), Sam Robson (18) and David Hymers (11) as Watson 6-32 in only 11 overs and Ben Whitehead 3-3 off 3.5 ripped through the aspiring firsts.

Tynemouth were all out for a disappointing 82 in the 29th over. They next host the Durham Academy and hope lessons have already been learned.

The seconds had a comprehensive 192-run victory to give them a maximum 30 points at home to Hetton Lyons seconds after groundsman Paul Jackson ensured the pitch was playable, despite being under water on Thursday evening.

Hetton probably regretted choosing to field as two Tynemouth 2012 season debutants opened the batting and, apart from one false shot second ball by Andrew Davison, never looked to be in any trouble.

The return of old man Graeme Hallam and Davison saw Tynemouth rack up a new league opening stand record of 286 with Hallam 160 not out and Davison 104 not out.

Captain Andrew Lineham declared in the 49th over when they had broken the record, allowing Tynemouth 56 overs to take ten wickets.

Hallam was first to his 50, the pair then bringing up the century stand in the 24th over.

Davison’s first second team 50 soon followed. Hallam’s 100 was the next land mark, his century including 13 fours and a six.

The partnership reached 200 in the 40th over followed soon after by Davison’s maiden century which included ten fours and one six.

The two powered on with Hallam bringing up 150 with five sixes and three fours in his last 50. Both players received a standing ovation.

Facing such a total, the Hetton innings soon faltere.

Pace bowler Finn Lonnberg clean bowled Taylor for three and when Owen Hollins had Foggin caught at cover by Sean Longstaff, Hetton were 6-2.

Coughlan and Grimwood did stem the tide for a short time, taking the score to 38.

Hallam came on and immediately claimed a double with Coughlan lbw for eight then Kennedy bowled first ball.

Russell Perry then accounted for Dawson and Spencer on successive balls before Hallam again struck and the determined Grimwood was caught by Lion for 23 to see the visitors 52-8.

There was a late rally from Watson, whose 37 was well supported by Macbeth, which took the score to 94.

Hallam claimed his fifth wicket when Ian Stewart ended Watson’s brave knock.

With Hetton batsman McInnes unable to bat with a suspected broken finger, Tynemouth finished a massive 192 run victors.

Hallam completed a remarkable season debut with figures of 5-34 with Russell Perry 2-21, Finn Lonnberg 1-21 and Owen Hollins 1-13.

The win takes Tynemouth to second in the league behind leaders Sunderland who they play in two weeks time.

The third team recorded their first win of the season in the Northumberland League at home to Hebburn.

Hebburn batted first and were held to 156 on a good batting track at Preston Avenue.

James Carr 1-35, Ed Snelders 2-23, Dan Storey 1-26, Richie Hay 1-41, Don Catley 2-18 and Sean Longstaff 2-5 were the wicket-takers.

The Tynemouth reply had a solid start with the new pairing of Lee Reed (32) and Ben Richardson (38) who put on 72 for the first wicket.

Neil Sturrock was out for a duck before Tynemouth reached their target thanks to Chris Fairley (45 not out), Simon Ward (25), Longstaff (3) and James Carr (8 not out).

Tynemouth U13s were crowned the Northumberland Champions in the Area Final of the ECB National Cup at Corbridge.

The boys had a difficult route to the final and were drawn against some of the best teams in the Northumberland Junior Cricket League.

On the route to the final, Tynemouth (84-7) defeated a strong South Northumberland (67-9) side.

Lewis Cass (30) top scored for Tynemouth, with Elliott Macdonald taking two wickets for only two runs.

The next round saw the boys defeat Stocksfield at Preston Avenue with off spinner Peter Musgrave claiming three wickets and Dan McGee two to restrict the visitors to 47-7.

Matty Longstaff (28) successfully guided the home side to victory.

In their semi-final against Tynedale, Tynemouth produced their best performance of the season and were outstanding in the field.

Conditions at Corbridge for the final were poor following yet more rain and boundaries were limited.

Tynemouth batted first and made 65-5 with Bailey, Cass and Straughan amongst the runs.

The visitors bowled out Corbridge for 53. Matty Longstaff returned the incredible figures 2-0 from four maiden overs.

A jubilant skipper Owen Bailey was presented with the trophy by the ECB National Cup organiser Brian Thornton.

Tynemouth Under-13s now travel to Edinburgh to meet Grange CC in the regional final.