Tynemouth secure welcome overdue win as club enjoys a good weekend

Wicket keeper Matthew Brown, who scored a century, appeals unsuccessfully for a stumping in the Banks Salver Bowl semi-final win over Tudhoe CC. Picture by Colin Edwards
Wicket keeper Matthew Brown, who scored a century, appeals unsuccessfully for a stumping in the Banks Salver Bowl semi-final win over Tudhoe CC. Picture by Colin Edwards

Tynemouth travelled to Blaydon on Saturday and secured a welcome and overdue win.

The visitors won the toss and inserted their hosts, whom they promptly dismissed for 140 in 37.1 overs.

Tynemouth’s opening strike force of David Hymers with 4-71 off 16 overs and Phil Morse 3-35 off 11 overs had Blaydon in all sorts of trouble.

They were 13-4 with only number four bat Ken McClure resisting. He was trapped lbw to Tahir Khan for 51, and only a late rally gave the Blaydon innings some sort of respectability.

From 92-7, Grant Nicholson, batting at nine, helped with 30 not out to ease the pain. Khan finished with 2-28 off 10.1 overs.

Tynemouth’s reply saw another solid performance from veteran opener and club chairman Graeme Hallam with a 60 that included ten fours and a characteristic six in only 73 balls.

There was to be no hanging about this time for Tynemouth as Morse hit 29 off 38 balls, with six well selected boundary shots and 26 at a run-a-ball from Khan.

Although Tynemouth lost late wickets, victory by four wickets was a comfortable team performance.

On Sunday Tynemouth travelled to Tudhoe in the semi-final of the Salver and amassed a target of 272-5 off their 45 overs, with Matty Brown scoring 101 in a starring role supported by 50 from Khan.

Tudoe were then dismissed for 185 in 39.5 overs, and they were never really in with a chance of reaching the target.

Andrew Smith and Khan each took three wickets and David Hymers two to wrap up the tie.

The second team, playing at home to Blaydon’s second string, also won, despite a strong reliance on promoted third team players.

Neil Sturrock and Ricky Handa starred in a thrilling mid-innings assault with rain threatening.

Blaydon posted 225-9 with Sam Robson claiming 4-72, and there were two wickets each for James Carr and Tony Lion with Blaydon skipper Reynolds scoring 60 to help the score to 145-3 with a late rally from M Cawthorn (44).

Tynemouth won by four wickets. Ben Richardson opened up with 36 and then that pair Handa (74) and Sturrock (49) inserted the necessary acceleration in a fourth wicket stand of 111, supported by a valuable 21 from Robson.

The job was completed by Lion (13 not out) and Dan Storey, also with 13. This was another much needed win for Tynemouth.

The third team hosted old rivals Hebburn on the maturing second square at Preston Avenue and were invited to make first use of it when stand-in skipper Lee Reed lost the toss.

Tynemouth got off to their usual poor start to see the new numbers board glowing with 16-3 after eight overs.

Lewis Smith (20) and Reed (22) progressed the score to 68-5 by the 15th over, using boundaries as the way forward.

Hopes for batting points at least then rose when Sean Longstaff (16) and Alex Tait (18) maintained some momentum.

A typical quick 18 from Neil Bennett then secured the second batting point with Tynemouth all out 126, and Don Catley not even facing a ball.

Four bowlers each took two wickets: Ian Younger, including an acrobatic caught and bowled, Michael Lunn, Nick Whitehead and Gary Taylor.

Hebburn’s joy at this low target was quickly changed to anxiety as Longstaff’s pace and accuracy tore into their top order.

He bowled our three of the top four with lightning quick yorkers, and Bennett took a fourth as Hebburn fell behind at 25-4.

Only Rees Warburton, batting at three, was making good contact with the bat, although worryingly for Tynemouth the extras total was rising in sympathy.

Bennett concluded with 1-27 off six overs and young Longstaff’s initial five-over spell brought 3-10.

Alex Tait was somewhat expensive with 0-26 off four overs, but Catley secured an end with some accurate bowling in a five-over spell for 1-13, making the mid-innings breakthrough causing Younger to play on off his pads.

Adam Williams impressed but conceded 20 off four overs as Reed manipulated his bowling strengths.

With Hebburn’s total rising towards the three figures it was time to bring back Longstaff and Catley.

The pairing were more than equal to the task as the nervousness increased.

Catley claimed a plumb lbw and conceded only one more run off his final three overs to close with 2-14 off eight, and main hero Longstaff achieved the incredible figures of 7-28 off 10.5 overs, all clean bowled to finish the job.

Hebburn were dismissed for 117 with Warburton making 29 and 52 extras conceded, mainly thanks to the leg-side wides restriction that Tynemouth’s bowlers must get better used to. This was a tremendous and exciting victory that Reed managed to manipulate and moves Tynemouth off the bottom of the table above next weekend’s hosts Civil Service.

Upcoming Fixtures: Thursday, July 16, Midweek v Park House (home), 6pm, NEMWCL Division 4; Friday, July 17, 1sts v Blaydon or Swalwell (home), 6pm, provisional, Charity Bowl Final; Saturday, July 18, 1sts v Chester le Street (home), 11.30am, NEPL Premier Division; 2nds v Chester le Street (away), 1pm, NEPL Division 1; 3rds v Civil Service (away), 1pm, Cochrane Park presumed; Sunday, July 19, U13s v Newcastle (home), 10am, NJL; U11s Monthy v Blue Flames (away), 10am, NJL.