Tynemouth slip to one wicket defeat

TYNEMOUTH suffered a narrow home defeat to Benwell Hill on Saturday.

The home side batted first with Ben Debham and Richie Straughan at the crease.

They made a good start with Debnam hitting 20 and Straughan 21 before losing their wickets.

After the loss of Nick Armstrong for only four, Rameez Shahzad dominated the batting with a superb 93.

Greg Hollins made 27 as did skipper Barry Stewart, with Andrew Smith contributing 26 as Tynemouth posted 259 all out.

This looked to be a useful score, but on a superb batting track at Preston Avenue it was always going to be an interesting target.

Hill also got off to a good start with openers Mark Dale run out for 32 and Alastair Maiden scoring 38 before being caught at the wicket by Hollins off Phil Morse.

The crucial innings was Zohaib Khan, who made 108 before he was bowled by Morse when the visitors had almost completed their task.

But with the last pairing at the crease, the next ball from Morse just missed the stumps of number 11 Peter Jones and went to the boundary for four byes to give Benwell Hill a tight victory with 260-9.

Wickets were taken by David Hymers 1-54, Shahzad 3-59, Morse 2-68 and Smith 2-36.

Tynemouth were unlucky to take only nine points from the game and are now eighth in the Premier table.

Meanwhile the second team had a narrow two-wicket win at Benwell Hill to move up to fifth in the second division table.

The hosts batted first and scored 205-9 with John Chambers making 60 and Ben Mussett 48.

Tynemouth’s bowlers, in general, kept mainly on top of the game with Owen Hollins taking 4-32.

Tynemouth’s reply saw an early collapse of wickets with Dan Candlish (9), Ben Richardson (5) and Andrew Lineham (5) all back in the pavilion.

However, number three bat Tony Turner, in terrific form this season, hit a valiant 85 and number seven Russell Perry with a controlled 54 not out were the heroes for Tynemouth as other wickets continued to fall.

At the death, with only two wickets remaining, young Finn Lonnberg hit a winning boundary to seal the victory.

The Saturday third team hosted the Civil Service and, after winning yet another toss, skipper Richie Hay asked the visitors to make first use of the sun-baked strip.

Wickets did fall but not quickly enough as the scoring rate moved up and the Civils amassed 269-9 from their allotted 50 overs.

Under-18 player Zubayer Ahmed took 4-75.

The target was not small but veteran opener Vince Howe’s hopes were high.

Fairley took the score on to 72 for the second wicket but he was caught for 33.

Wickets continued to fall as Tynemouth tried to up the run rate – Howe running out of steam to be trapped lbw for 82 as the hosts finished 151 all out, claiming seven points from the game and third place in the table.

Under 11s

Tynemouth 307 (+107) Backworth 169 (-31)

BACKWORTH were the visitors to Preston Avenue, facing a Tynemouth under-11 side in a rich vein of form and growing in confidence with every match.

The visitors batted first but Tynemouth’s bowlers took regular wickets – the partnership of Dan McGee and Will Kerr taking seven between them for only two runs.

In reply, the home batsmen scoring plenty of runs, with Matty Longstaff hitting 12 boundaries in a fantastic knock of 50 – ensuring a 138-run win.

South North Reds 268 (+68) Tynemouth 259 (+59)

TYNEMOUTH next travelled to Gosforth to face South North Reds in the County Cup quarter-final in a repeat of last year’s thrilling final which Tynemouth won by three runs.

Having already lost comprehensively to South North in the league this season, this was always going to be a tough challenge.

South North batted first with Ben Scott top scoring with 18 runs as they posted 268.

Lewis Cass (14) and Jamie Whiting (4) started the Tynemouth reply well before Ethan Brown and James Whiting took the score onto 46 at the mid-point of the innings, requiring only 23 more runs to win.

But the South North bowlers got them back into the game and Tynemouth fell nine runs short.