Tynemouth suffer heavy defeat against bottom side

TYNEMOUTH suffered a heavy defeat to bottom club Gateshead Fell on Saturday.

Rameez Shahzad claimed the first wicket when he bowled Dicks for 26 before Ollie McGee then had Javed Malik caught by Matt Brown for 28, then David Hymers had opener Steele caught by Chad Koen for 71.

The Fell pairing of Arsalan Rahim (62) and Davenport (56) cemented a good score before Hymers made inroads to claim 5-74 with Shahzad 4-68.

Tynemouth were immediately in trouble in their chase of 273, with Lockey doing all the damage to their reply.

The first three batsmen Brown, Ross Burdon and Tony Turner failed to score.

A stand by Shahzad (20) and Ben Debnam (39) then recovered a degree of respect, but 13 from Nick Armstrong was the only other contribution in double figures for Tynemouth who were dismissed for 100.

Tynemouth’s second team travelled to Gateshead Fell and batted first with Ian Stewart (44) and Ben McGee (10) making a cautious start.

Two promising youngsters Jack Byerley (10) and Sean Longstaff (0) were next out before Stewart was caught.

The remainder of the innings was all about skipper Andrew Lineham who made 58 not out as Tynemouth were all out for 181.

The Fell openers Davenport (34) and Roseby (39) made good progress. Young hero Ryan Macciocchi trapped Devenport to open up the innings for Marsh to take two wickets whilst Lion trapped Roseby.

At 103-4 the game was still in the balance but the rains reached to send Tynemouth home with 11 points from a job unfinished.

The third team assured themselves of promotion to the Northumberland League’s first division by bowling out Old Record Players at Preston Avenue for 116.

Ed Snelders had kept up his excellent bowling this season with 4-12 off ten overs.

At the other end, Stephen Harrison claimed two wickets before Snelders returned to take two quick wickets to reduce OPR to 52-6.

Youngsters James Yeomans and Sean Longstaff each claimed a wicket and Hay returned to bowl the last man.

The Tynemouth reply started well apart from an early dismissal of Geoff Simpson.

Nick Brown was caught for 16, Stephen Davison went for 15 and young Longstaff was left to hold the innings together.

Tynemouth were dismissed for a paltry 75. They missed the remote chance of the title with Hebburn losing to Cramlington.

The final game on Saturday at home to Hebburn is now academic but it would be good to finish the season on a high note.

The game is also part of the Tynemouth Beer Festival, which takes place this weekend.

• Tynemouth CC’s Under 13 team wrote themselves in to the record books as the club’s first U13 team to win the North East Premier League Trophy.

The boys had to overcome some strong opposition in the group stages of the competition. Tynemouth (106-7) defeated Chester Le Street (104-5) and then beat Blaydon by eight wickets to reach the Final.

The three teams contesting the final were South Northumberland, Sunderland and Tynemouth.

Tynemouth batting first against South Northumberland and made an excellent start before being bowled out for 108.

Accurate bowling and some outstanding fielding performances restricted the visitors to 99-8.

The standard of bowling and fielding was then maintained by Ben McGee’s side in the final game against Sunderland as they restricted them to 56.

Ben led by example, scoring an impressive 29 not out and then Sean Longstaff and Owen Bailey closed out the innings on 58-1.

The North East Premier League Chairman, Mr. Keith Robson, presented the trophy to the Tynemouth captain and the ‘Man of the Match Award’ deservedly went to Sean Longstaff.

The Tynemouth U13 Coach, Andrew Davison, was delighted with the performance of his players and he is looking forward to the boys progressing in to senior cricket.

• Picture. Back Row: Callum Brown, Sean Longstaff, Owen Bailey, Thomas Collins, Finn Lonnberg, James Yeomans and Andrew Davison (Coach). Front Row: Ethan Brown, Matty Longstaff, Ben McGee (Capt), Daniel McGee and Lewis Cass.