Tynemouth Thirds win promotion in last game of season

Tynemouth's Third Team cemented their promotion to the Northumberland First Division with a four-wicket win over Hebburn.
Tynemouth's Third Team cemented their promotion to the Northumberland First Division with a four-wicket win over Hebburn.

TYNEMOUTH CC’s third team secured promotion with a four-wicket win over division winners Hebburn in the final match of the season.

It took a determined effort from the Preston Avenue groundsman Paul Jackson to ensure the pitch was safe following early afternoon rain.

The game was reduced to 25 overs and Hebburn elected to bat.

They made a steady start and openers Simpson and Berry reached 36 before Max Robertson struck. He went on to claim the first five batsmen for 23 runs off seven overs, all his victims were bowled.

Meanwhile, Don Catley got back into the wickets after a barren spell to take 2-20 off three overs and Dan Storey made an immediate impact to take another three wickets for 20 runs, aided by catches from Richie Hay and young Sean Longstaff

Hebburn were dismissed for 103 in the 23rd over.

The Tynemouth reply saw Nick Brown, bowled for three and then fellow opener Andrew Davison for eight.

Longstaff impressed with two boundaries but was then dismissed and Stephen Davison went for one.

When mainstay Chris Fairley was out for two, Tynemouth were 35-5 and in trouble.

However, Hay and Danny Candlish steadied the ship in an important stand to reach 78 before Hay went for 15 in the 17th over.

Candlish batted sensibly with selected boundaries to record 59 not out including the winning six as Dan Storey intelligently held up his end without scoring.

Tynemouth won home in the 19th over with ample time to enjoy the remainder of the Tynemouth Beer Festival in celebratory mood with birds of prey from Whitehouse Farm swooping round in support of the home team.

Also on Sunday, Tynemouth seconds lost to Eppleton in the James Bell Cup Final.

Meanwhile club stalwart Ian Stewart is to run the Kielder Marathon on October 9.

He is raising money towards the club’s wish list, which includes a new computerised till, CCTV and road/car park improvements.

He can be sponsored via e-mail to ian030573@tiscali.co.uk or on 07762 963144.

n The club was informed of the death of Alan Haley’s father, George, who passed away on Thursday, September 15.

He had a long association with the club and loved watching Tynemouth in action.

The funeral will take place tomorrow (Friday) at 12.30pm at Preston cemetery, followed by refreshments at the Spread Eagle in Preston Village.

The club extended its sympathy to the family.

Tynemouth chairman Russell Perry expressed satisfaction as the club showed steady progress at all levels during the 2011 season.

The first team moved up three places to finish ninth this season despite having decided not to re-engage Pakistani fast bowler Shahid Nazir at the end of last season and being unable to field a Durham contract player.

Nazir’s replacement as Tynemouth’s overseas player Rameez Shahzad proved a great success with both bat and ball, scoring 864 runs at an average of 41.14 and taking 32 wickets at 26.56.

It was, however, the progress made by Tynemouth’s up and coming home grown players that was most noticeable. Fast bowler David Hymers forced his way into the Northumberland Minor Counties team after taking 44 wickets at 14.83.

With Andrew Smith, Matthew Brown, Josh Koen, Chad Koen and Phil Morse all finding their way into Northumberland’s Development Team and the emergence of 14-year-old Oliver McGee, already on Durham CCC’s radar having taken 43 wickets at 19.94, the club are well placed to develop further.

The second team finished third in the NEPL Reserve Division with the emergence of McGee, Ryan Macciocchi and Finn Lonnberg the undoubted highlight of the season.

Skipper Andy Lineham had a solid season with the bat and 18-year-old Ben Richardson showed glimpses of the talent he undoubtedly has.

The third team, led by Richardson, finished top of the NEPL third team league and again was dominated by the club’s younger players.

The Saturday third team finished second to Hebburn in the Northumberland League and gained promotion having been well led by Richard Hay.

At junior level the clubs under 15s were thwarted by the weather after reaching the regional round of the ECB Championship only to lose on the toss of a coin.

At under 13 level the club carried off the NEPL Championship for the first time while the under 11s finished third.

Perry said: “With many clubs struggling financially it is rewarding to see the emergence of such a strong group of home grown players.

“The pyramid system in the north east is under review with two divisions of the NEPL a possibility in 2013.

“I hope next season we will build upon the progress we have made and be in a position to be well placed whatever the re-organisations throw up.

“There remains much to do off the pitch during the close season but I think all concerned can look back with some satisfaction despite such a rain ruined season.”